Bloody Torbeck valves!!!!!

How is it that the performance of a Torbeck valve can gradually degrade over time, and yet when the time comes to look at it, nothing less than a full strip-down and service will do?

Surely it should be possible to just back-track a little to the point where it was not failing?

But why bother? Toilet with Torbeck valve requires attention every year.

But downstairs toilet (qv) with traditional ball-valve has given trouble-free operation for over 10 years.

Reply to
gareth

The Torbecks I've fitted here have given trouble-free, silent, operation for over ten years.

Is there cack in your water supply? The balancing hole in equilibrium valve(*) is tiny compared to the jet of even a HP ball valve.

(*) Torbeck is a registered trademark not a valve type but has become like Hoover or Biro.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The next generation of Torbecks will have a warning light, a circuit board and two safety cut outs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well I'm surprised nobody has created a converter kit by now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good question! The only problem I ever had with Torbeck valves was after the Water Board had been working on the supply pipes nearby, leaving some gunge in the pipes.

Reply to
Maurice

With dire warnings not to DIY !

Reply to
Andy Cap

A replacement standard valve is a convenient way to go. Is there any need for conversion?

Reply to
Fredxxx

All that complication will lead to Cisternmatic failure.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Hard water area - the recent troubles caused no doubt by the water board replacing the stop-c*ck in the pavement..

Reply to
gareth

As, indeed, I have just indicated further up the thread!

Reply to
gareth

And you will be able to remove the crud with an app on your mobile phone.

Reply to
alan_m