Bloody plumbers

Time for a if-you-want-a-job-doing-properly-then-do-it-yourself rant...

I booked a local firm of plumbers in today. Main reason was I wanted to have my pressurised HW cylinder checked over, as it was long overdue; in particular as I explained to the manager over the phone I wanted the sacrifical anode looking at, as I wasn't convinced that had actually ever been checked. Pressurised cylinders and gas appliances are the two areas of plumbing I don't go near.

Matey comes round this morning, spends some time in the airing cupboard tinkering with the tank. When he's done I ask him, 'was the anode OK then?' 'Oh everythng's fine'. 'But what about the anode - how much life has it got left?' 'Oh it doesn't have an anode'.

So I trot downstairs and produce the manual for him, and point to the diagram showing the location of the anode, and the section where it explains how important it is that said anode is checked visually every two years.

"Oh, well they don't usually have anodes".

He duly extracted the thing, and was perhaps slightly sheepish(?) to find that it was mostly eroded away. Hopefully there's enough left to have still been doing its job. Anyway - I've just ordered a new one and having seen how easily it fits, certainly won't be summoning Matey back to fit it....

Moving on: I also wanted another job doing while he was there. Reason being that my house is still suffering from a previous attack by plumber, when we had an extension built about 10 years ago. This character (a different one) managed to plumb two downstairs radiators into the primary circuit, which meant they came on in synchrony with the hot water system; and conversely the bathroom towel rail is plumbed in to the central heating circuit. We unfortunately didn't cotton on to the error in long after the Lone Ranger had ridden off into the sunset. Anyway - I've given up on sorting out the downstairs rads (too far from the rest of the CH system), but had decided to divert the towel rail to the primary circuit, to keep SWMBO happy. I'd already run 10mm copper tube under the floors and all that remained was to drain down, swap over the connections at the towel rail end and splice the other ends into the primary circuit. However, the location of the pipes was really fiddly, and I had visions of me chopping into the primary pipes and being unable to fix them again - resulting in massive loss of all the hopefully accruing SWMBO brownie points. So I'd decided to let the plumber do this while he was here. Sorry, rambling.

So, knowing that Matey would need to drain down most of the CH system to do this job, more CH inhibitor was going to be needed. Knowing my system is loaded with X-100 (as put there by the same firm when they fitted my boiler, 2 years ago) and not wanting to mix different types, I asked him what sort he carried. 'Erm - don't think I've got any'.

Why the hell would a plumber attend a job necessitating a drain-down without bringing inhibitor? Was he planning on taking an hour out, on my time, to go and buy some during the day, or - as I suspect - just not going to bother at all? Never found out. Anyway, I duly nipped out to B&Q and bought a bottle of X-100 myself.

As I said at the start, sometimes it really makes you wonder what the point is of employing a pro. If I'd been like most of Joe Public, and had not a clue about my own system, today I'd have been left with a potentially highly dangerous HW tank and a gently corroding CH system; neither of which would have made their presence known for many months, or even years... at which point a nice big new job would be generated for the plumber.

Rant over. Time for beer. David

Reply to
Lobster

No doubt rhetorically asked but people do as they don't have the time or knowledge or desire to DIY and therefore don't know any better if a job's done well or not.

I have long maintained that being "professional" merely meant one is paid to do the job rather than implying any level of skill or knowledge.

Reply to
Scott M

And plumbing (the depths?) seems to be the epitome of that observation. The house I have now was previously owned by a "plumber". He had done all the work on the house himself. I spent the next several months fixing all his little screw-ups: from radiators that weren't parallel to the walls as he'd messed up the pipework, to creaking h/w pipes that had been laid directly onto joists, to washing machine taps that simply could NOT both be on at the same time - each one blocked the other. Now, before this I'd never done any more plumbing than turning on a tap, but the extent of his incompetency and the ease of fixing the basic mistakes makes me thing anyone with a wrench could do a better job (and I did).

Also, when the guy moved out he failed (an oversight, I thought at the time) to leave a forwarding address or phone number. It turned out not to be a mistake at all. For nearly a year afterwards I would get occasional calls from panicky sounding individuals who "I really need to get in touch with him" or "he fixed my < > and it's gone wrong again". After sympathising many times, I did start to wonder if I should offer my services ;) I'd usually fixed those things in his/my place and I reckon I couldn't have done any worse.

Reply to
root

There are pros and "pros".

Having just titted about with a good chisel and a bad smaller chisel opening out a mortice lock hole and frame plate to take a new lock in a hurry on the front door (old one broke today)... I have decided my lock fitting skills are "medieval" - works OK, decentish fit, looks crap - I will be employing a joiner for more of the same... Weird, because I can install bare wood skirting (ie no making good with filler allowed) and make nice but simple shelves and build studwork that is perfect. Guess I'm just s**te with a chisel.

I've had a good foor tiler, and a decent plasterer, but noone else touches my electrics and plumbing - or wall tiles, ever! I've discovered what I'm really good at, what I can do in an emergency and be "serviceable" and what I'm crap at. Fortunately my crap and mediocre skills are the ones it's usually easier to find a good "man" for... IME anyway.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My feeling exactly. I'm going to need a lock job like that soon, and after last time I'm going to get a man in!

Reply to
Bob Eager

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

I think that's absolutely key for DIY. Know your limitations, and by all means have a go, but if you have to call in a pro, do so.

And not everyone has the time or energy (especially if they work) to DIY everything.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly item like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the warranty period. And then provide more work for them or their trade rather earlier than if it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless the thread has already been read. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use the one you have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't shoot the messenger Dave, Alan's comment was a fair one - your message to which he replied contained no References headers at all, and hence was rightly treated a new post by standards compliant newsreaders.

Note the message ID to which we are now replying is:

not Lobster's:

Reply to
John Rumm

It is compliant, your posts show as a new thread, with no attributions showing. Notice there is no 'Reference' line, which I think is the main problem, as Newsreaders cannot tell what it is related to.

See your full headers below:

Path: mx04.eternal-september.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-septembe r.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail From: "Dave Plowman (News)" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Bloody plumbers Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100 Organization: None Lines: 10 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: Y4lVOo3N2sO6iMyMpcYdZA.user.speranza.aioe.org X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org User-Agent: Pluto/3.04e (RISC-OS/4.39) NewsHound/v1.50-32 X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2 Xref: feeder.eternal-september.org uk.d-i-y:183330

It's not uncommon... Snipped.

Reply to
A.Lee

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

It's not him, it's you. Your headers show no References: lines, which is what enables threading, so any decent news client (and that doesn't include gargle gropes) will think it's a new post. FWIW, Turnpike sees it as a new post too.

From your post (the one Alan referred to):

Path: mx04.eternal-september.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal- september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail From: "Dave Plowman (News)" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Bloody plumbers Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100 Organization: None Lines: 10 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: Y4lVOo3N2sO6iMyMpcYdZA.user.speranza.aioe.org X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org User-Agent: Pluto/3.04e (RISC-OS/4.39) NewsHound/v1.50-32 X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2 Xref: feeder.eternal-september.org uk.d-i-y:183330

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan. This and all the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.

Reply to
John Williamson

The only "professional" plumbing I ever had done was a British Gas engineer who fitted a gas fire in the living room. About 10 minutes after lit, it would go out because the pressure drop in the pipework stopped the pilot tickling the flame sensor. He had connected it to the existing gas fire point, which I traced under the floor, and it went back via a tortuous route to the gas lamp pipework. 3' away from the fire was the main feed in from the meter, so I reconnected it to that, and it's been fine for the ~20 years since (although now hardly used).

Since then, I've done all my own plumbing, including replumbing the whole house and installing central heating (and disconnecting those parts of the gas lamp pipework which were still connected;-).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In this case Dave's reply doesn't look like a reply in any sense of the word, no "re:" prefix on the subject and no "references:" header, it is in fact a new message ... viewed here in TB3.1, but no reader would thread it however it treated it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

They don't.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

Agent shows it as part of the thread, perfectly ok. Otoh, Agent does have moments where it screws up things just like everything else.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I don't see why a pro should expect to be paid for travel time to fetch basic parts. Those parts should be on the van.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yet Dave's client at least preserves the References: line when it is there. His response in:

Subject: Re: Lidl offers from Thurs. Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:25:48 +0100 Message-ID:

Has References: how ever Dave has also quoted part of the message he is responding to there. So perhaps without quotes it strips/doesn't create References: or Dave had finger trouble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So would outlook express and various other readers. Usually because they ignore the references headers altogether, and just thread on message titles. (hence why a title change will break threading on some newsreaders)

Reply to
John Rumm