Virgin media cable

Our shorthold tenant has asked if we object to him arranging for a Virgin cable connection.

We don't have access here so my knowledge is zero!

Can a tenant organise the installation?

What happens at the tenancy end during an unoccupied period and what happens if the new tenant doesn't want the service?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Close reading of the Virgin website brings up one *gotcha*.

Agreements are only available to freeholders or tenants with a lease exceeding 12 months!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Of course

If you think about it, thousands of VM customers must be tenants

The contract is between the tenant and Virgin. If they move. Its not your problem, nor is it the problem for a future tenant

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

I have also spotted that the landlords consent is required. The current tenant is on a rolling 2 month renewal so they won't meet the 12 month plus lease requirement found in the *legal stuff*.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I suspect they just leave the coax in the ground ( about 150mm down in our case) and all the gubbins inside. Ours still functions for basic TV ( I think I now have freeview and satellite so haven't got the Jerrold converter in use.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In article , Tim Lamb writes

You may be thinking too much :-)

If the tenant wants to lie to VM and say that they have a 12mth tenancy then let them, you have no need to have knowledge of their arrangement and definitely do not co-sign their application. Just write a letter to the tenant telling them that you do not object to them having cable installed, they can forward it to VM if reqd.

I would not expect VM to want to see a copy of the tenancy agreement, in fact it may all be done on the phone. This was certainly the case when I had Telewest (phone only) at a rented property.

Reply to
fred

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

If they are in the VM network this usually means bring a cable known as Sidecar in which is a dual TV/Broadband and phone cable. They will usually have access very near to the front of the house and sometimes will need to bury a cable duct some inch or so in diameter. After that there is usually a small external wallbox then the cable will come in thru the wall and connect to the equipment. VM will want it to stay there if the subscriber cancels.

Its prolly worth it being there as some want cable TV and will see it as a useful benefit. Just be there when they call to connect to make sure they make a decent job of it sometimes they do .. sometimes not...

Its no real different to a BT install just a bigger wall box and thicker cable. Sometimes they might want the tenet to shown them a year plus contract but sometimes I've heard they don't bother they sometimes seem desperate to sign up subs like Sky TV...

Reply to
tony sayer

You must have got the deluxe service there: ours was done so conscientiously that it breaks the surface of the soil. And so did the one in the previous house.

As for the 12 month minimum, ntl/Virgin have told me more than once that you can terminate early if you move.

Reply to
mike

Nah... my new tenants (on a new 6-month agreement) asked me if they could install it; I said 'sure, no problem'. It had all been happily installed, with no further contact by anyone with me, when I was round at the house a few weeks later.

David

Reply to
Lobster

OK all.

I think I have grasped the important bits.

  1. Connection is an asset.

  1. Actual installation requires supervision (this is a flat so the management committee will have an interest).

  2. No adverse financial repercussions to landlord.

  1. Tell lies if necessary:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The only reason I ever get involved with my tenents' cable service is to make sure the monkeys don't make a mess of the installation.

Monkey: "So, can we pull this cable out then?" Me: "No! The whol point of putting that cable under the floor when the flat was unoccupied was so that several hundredweight of furniture did *NOT* have to be moved to put a cable in!"

Me: "A power cable runs parallel with that wall (pointing) six inches from that wall (pointing). Feed the cable a close to the corner as possible." A week later, tenant phones saying bedside light keeps going out. I life the carpet to check the wiring and find Monkeys have drilled hole straight through the cable. As I lifted the floorboard it went POP! and everything went out.

Similar with satelite installation.

SkyMonkey: "We'll just put the dish here", placing ladder against front of architechtually distinctive Victorian building. Me: "No you bloddy won't, it will go on the chimney where it won't be visible from street level" SkyMonkey: "We don't have roof access equipment, it has to be on the wall" Me: "Well, bugger off back to the depot and send a roofer over"

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Exactly. Expect a trench to be dug from the road to the front of the house, or else the cable to be clipped to whatever's available (eg garden wall). A grey plastic junction box to be screwed to the front of the house (the lids tend to fall off after a while and look ugly).

If the entry point (eg for TV) is to be at the rear of a terrace, it's not uncommon for them to clip a cable up the side of the house, laid loose over the tiles, and then clip it down the other side.

Unfortunately, when they say they'll come between 1pm and 6, they aren't always reliable. So you can't necessarily be there to babysit.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Virgin were pretty good at my mates house. They were happy to use the CT100 that I had pre-laid in the house (just before my mate decorated/moved in) to the required places prior to them arriving.

They were not so good at putting their cable under the lawn. A difficult blade of grass must have got in the way of their spade preventing them from actually buring the cable.

Reply to
ARWadsworth