Enclosing telephone cable join

I need to run a new cable for the external part of my telehone cable. I can't replace it all due to it being routed where I cannot get at it.

I intend using some of those gel filled squeeze on connectors. The joint will be under overhanging eaves.

  1. What do I need to enclose the joint?
  2. Do I need to use 6 core even though only 2 are used?

The line is Virgin.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The ones on this house, fitted by BT in 1987, have no covering over the gel blocks

No

If it's a Virgin line, they are the only ones who are legally allowed to work on it. Up to the socket in the house, it's their property.

Reply to
charles

If it was BT, then a "External Joint 66B", not sure what Virgin would use, or whether you or they care too much whether it's by the book, or merely a good way to do it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh dear. The cable got cut during work to build an extension so a new one was put in by the builder to a relocated master socket. Unfortunately he used white cable and ran it down the front of the house.

SWMBO wants it routed out of sight (and black to be sure). It had originally been fitted by BT and Virgin had merely added a couple of metres from the BT incoming box to their Virgin box.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just DO it. I have. Countless times. Occasionally the BT boys say 'well that OUGHT to really be XYZ and gimmee a cofee and I'll make it 'standard spec'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use an external grade CAT5 cable Example

You only need to connect two wires.

If was originally BT line you can buy BT/Openreach branded connection boxes on Ebay. You then claim to have no knowledge of how Virgin used the existing BT wiring and how they connected it.

Just make sure that you take a mobile phone photo of the existing connection before you start - just in case your memory fails you when you try and put it all back together.

Reply to
alan

That box 66B already mentioned. Google found lots on eBay but at a price.

Note you can get a terminal block to fit that is just as reliable as jelly beans and if you are having to buy 50 JB's and have 44 "in stock" it might be a better option. Make sure you get proper copper cable not CCS or CCA ...

Or it might be worth looking at Box

16A:

on-box-black

Though that appears to be only vaialble from that Co.

Well if you can reliably pick the correct two... As you are up a ladder doing the work I'd do all six. So if you get a fault on the current pair you just pick one of the others inside and out and not have to get the ladder out...

Technically your aren't allowed to play but do it well with the correct bits they aren't going to make a fuss.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Technically Virgin had no right to cut into the BT cable, but both companies do it all the time. So if there is any problem in the future with either BT or Virgin just tell them that the other company did it and deny any technical knowledge whatsoever!!

A friend lost the extension to their bedroom, third floor flat, one day. When I investigated it appeared that BT when taking the line back from Virgin had used the incoming cable from Virgin distribution point on the ground floor to connect to the bedroom - the bedroom extension was on a two wire connection from the lounge down to the ground floor and back up to the bedroom (which is what Virgin had originally installed). Not a problem till Virgin allocated the pair to a new customer - snip snip no service to the bedroom.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I'd use six core as one never knows when one might want another line etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But in practice, they don't give a monkeys as long as its the same cable you used. At least that was what an engineer said as most of the records of moved cables etc, is not kept for very long so they could have done it and they would not rmember!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup, they simply took out the bt wire and put their own in here.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff