Twisted Telephone Handset cable

Annoying habit of curly telephone handset cable is to become all twisted. I did read somewhere that this was due to the way the telephone was picked up, (something like: cable coming out of left hand side of telephone should be picked up by the left hand, or similar). Can anybody help?

Reply to
Merryterry

It's caused by picking phone up in, say, left hand and then replacing it with the right hand if you've "changed ears" during the conversation, because you've then introduced a twist in it. Usually, picking up the whole instrument and then letting the handset drop or "bounce" on its curly cord sorts it out - if it's gone too bad, it'll need replacing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Merryterry writes

just unwind it as soon as the twistedness starts to bother you - what I do at work - to several phones

alt, buy a cordless - what I've done at home

Reply to
Si

Many thanks for prompt reply. Now the missus believes me. I have just purchased a 'thingy' from Maplin that is supposed to cure the problem. It seems to work. Once again, thanks.

Reply to
Merryterry

You're welcome :o)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yup. Get a cordless. ;-)

Once those coiled leads start going back on themselves you can rarely get them perfect again. Try letting the receiver hang by its own weight and perhaps help it round where it's wrong. But you'll probably not get a tight coil again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glad that someone has taken over from me since I retired! There are two types of office workers - those who bother about the phone wire and those who don't even notice if it is so tangled that they have their chin on the desk to take a call.

Incidentally, do you also have to clean the PC Mouse ball if you go onto someone else's PC?

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

I work on a hospital ward where there are 11 PCs. In a normal working day I probably use on average 8 of them and I often use several other PCs around the site when I'm called to other areas. Cleaning mouse balls is something most other staff are scared to do ('it might break') so yes that's another of my jobs. (I suppose, correctly I ought to call someone from the It Dept. to come to do it but... !!!)

I probably use more than 10 phones in a normal day so I'm well practised at untwisting too (generally while performing another task).

Reply to
Si

At one company I worked at, I inherited someone else's PC. Finding the mouse movement erratic, I opened it up. On examination I wasn't sure whether to clean it or plant some potatoes in it.

Reply to
David in Normandy

The Maplin "thingies" are OK when new but I found they become noisey after a while. Its a kinda slipring arrangement that gets dirty or oxidized.

Reply to
1501

Peopls still use mice with balls? Blimey. I wouldn't touch one now - the optical ones are just so much better.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yes! ;-)

(then I try to sell them a optical mouse)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Clive George writes

At home, absolutely! At work it's not my choice. :(

Reply to
Si

And talking about mice .Aren't those ones like the one I have with the centre scrolling wheel a real PITA when filling in forms on websites with dropdown options ( like dates,countries and the like ) as ,if you do not click the page to unhighlight the last entry,the slightest movement of the wheel changes the entry and you don't notice until it rejects your payment as you live in America when you don't or the type of card you have doesn't match the card number .

Reply to
Stuart B

In message , Stuart B writes

sounds like a wetware problem to me

Reply to
Si

And on a hospital ward??? Jeez.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

We used to have a company come round that sanitized all the phone handsets, cleaned all the crumbs, etc out of your keyboard, cleaned the screen and cleaned the mouse ball.

NOw we have a girl who comes in to do chair massages but we have to pay for that.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

They were all sent away on the B Ark.