Bloody plumbers

On 09/07/2011 11:53, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

So would outlook express and various other readers. Usually because they ignore the references headers altogether, and just thread on message titles. (hence why a title change will break threading on some newsreaders)
--
Cheers,

John.

Can you chaps kindly take your boring sub-thread about newsreaders etc offline or at least retitle your subthread? I keep checking in look for juicy details of some plumbing disaster only to find zzzzzzz <zonk - head slumps onto keyboard>
--
Tim

Ah well, changing the title of posts in this thread will make this appear as a new thread in readers that just use the subject line to make the connection.
Clients using the headers will show it as a changed subject under the main thread (assuming my client is working - it did when I compiled it 14 years ago :-))
Darren
On 09/07/2011 19:19, D.M.Chapman wrote:

Still nicely threaded here...
(let's hope Tim has nodded off by now ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:58:52 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Pan is reading it as continuously threaded too. We can't all be wrong. ;-) 'gnight Tim... :-D
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Wossat, wossat, umm? Eh? Oh ...
--
Tim

It's not him, it's you. Your headers show no References: lines, which is what enables threading, so any decent news client (and that doesn't include gargle gropes) will think it's a new post. FWIW, Turnpike sees it as a new post too.
From your post (the one Alan referred to):
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Bloody plumbers Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100 Organization: None Lines: 10
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 10:58:28 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Yet Dave's client at least preserves the References: line when it is there. His response in:
Subject: Re: Lidl offers from Thurs. Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:25:48 +0100
Has References: how ever Dave has also quoted part of the message he is responding to there. So perhaps without quotes it strips/doesn't create References: or Dave had finger trouble.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Don't think it's a standards issue - your posts often show up as separate threads, seemingly out of the blue.
Wouldn't mind if the content was of any value ;-)
Rob
On 12/07/2011 18:48, Rob wrote:

To be fair, this was the first time I recall it happening...

Who elected you moderator?
--
Cheers,

John.

On 13/07/2011 00:35, John Rumm wrote:

At least 2 in the last 50 or so threads showing on my newsreader. Doesn't bother me at all, although I am curious about why he does it. It could be interpreted as some manner of self-aggrandisement I suppose.

And who elected you arbiter? ;-)
Rob
A.Lee wrote:

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan. This and all the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

In this case Dave's reply doesn't look like a reply in any sense of the word, no "re:" prefix on the subject and no "references:" header, it is in fact a new message ... viewed here in TB3.1, but no reader would thread it however it treated it.

Probably threading by Subject: rather than References:.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
On 09/07/2011 11:25, John Williamson wrote:

Very odd - I'm using XP/Thunderbird 3.1.11 (for both this and the original post kicking off this thread) and on my system Dave's post has started a new thread... WTF??? Have I got settings wrong somewhere?
David

No, there is no 'References' line in the Headers, so some (compliant) newsreaders cannot put it into the thread where it should have been. If there was a "reference' in the header, all newsreaders can thread it properly, as it is, some can, some can't.
Alan.

On 09/07/2011 11:25, John Williamson wrote:

That's because threading in TB 2 was somewhat broken (well the default settings were different). TB 3 now defaults to using message ids and references headers rather than subject lines. So 3 does it closer to the "correct" way.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Message_Threading#mail.correct_threading
--
Cheers,

John.

A.Lee wrote:

It looks fine here, through OE on XP.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
They don't. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sanction

Indeed. My boiler was installed a couple of years ago by a different plumber from the same firm, which actually I have hitherto trusted and used (for my gas stuff) for a long time. On the log book he'd stated that Sentinel had been used and admittedly I took that at face value.
On reflection I now wish I'd run off a jar-full from a drain cock for a bit of diy analysis before yesterday :(
David