Replace syphon in concealed toilet cistern

I've got a toilet with the cistern (one of those fairly narrow, back to front, black ones, Plumb Centre I think) concealed behind a tiled partition. Needless to say the builder, 20 years or so ago, didn't allow for access other than from the shelf above! The syphon is starting to play up and probably needs replacing, and it's fixed at the bottom of the cistern, so I'm going to have to cut out a panel around the joints in the tiles to get access.

Question is can I get a replacement syphon that's removable from above, to avoid this hassle in the future? Preferably one with a built in overflow that discharges via the pan.

Reply to
Davidm

I think some of the Dudley built-in cisterns are fully serviceable from a hatch in the top, whether their siphons would fit another brand of cistern - no idea ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had exactly this problem a couple of years ago. I was able to carefully (although quite slowly) cut out a 3*3 panel of tiles to gain access - fortunately my tiled partition was based on plasterboard. Having done that I glued 4 support brackets across the back of the opened up hole and with 4 screws through the tiles now have an easily removed access panel (not needed it again yet mind you).

Reply to
Chris B

You want one of these.

GB

GB wrote in news:ohdta6$hvb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Concealed cisterns and integrated appliances are the spawn of the devil to a handyman.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

This reminds me of the tale of the doctor who discovered a leak in the cistern at 3am. He called the plumber. The plumber replied: 'Just give it a couple of aspirins and call me back in the morning if the problem is still there.'

Reply to
Scott