Toilet Cistern operates by itself!

Another niggle now the bathroom is all high pressure. Occasionally for no apparant reason the toilet cistern will fill (after already being full) for a second or so. It is a new toilet (French) with the internal overflow and dual button operation. I've swapped over the seal to change from low to high pressure supply. Any ideas?

Reply to
VisionSet

Is it an equilibrium valve?

If so what might be happening is that the float is initially closing off the small escape of water from the front part of the valve to a sufficient degree to close the main valve, but then it continues to allow water out and the valve briefly opens again. The float rises a little more and now really does close off.

This can be made worse by high pressure, but you say you've dealt with that. I would examine the behaviour of the valve closely and in particular look at the area on the front of the valve where the pad of the float arm closes the pin hole. I suspect you will see water escaping after the first close of the main valve.

This may be due to a piece of crud in the pin hole or a manufacturing defect in the valve. If it's not obvious, I would ask for a new valve.

Reply to
Andy Hall

French and bathroom do not mix, seriously.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No idea, what's one of those?

There was crud, I've removed it, I'll see how it fairs. Thanks Andy.

Reply to
VisionSet

The message from "VisionSet" contains these words:

The Washing Machine episode here will tell you....

anyone who remembers The Secret Life of Machines - the whole lot are there to download. Splendid, they are.

Reply to
Guy King

for example, a Torbeck or Fluidmaster although there are many more

You can Google for these brand names. Designs vary, but the principle is of a diaphragm in the body of the valve and a small hole for water to escape.

It's really important with these to flush pipework thoroughly when doing new plumbing.

Reply to
Andy Hall