Hard Wall Tacker - opinions?

Just seen this little gadget

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Manufacturer's YouTube vid "Hardwall Takker"

They would sell a lot of them if they changed the casing colours to pink, as that's gonna be where most of them will go.

It's de-skilling a job where someone would normally concentrate on their actions. Can imagine lots of women and kids let loose in properties owned by others, and lots of fun until someone eventually strikes a stupidly placed electrical cable or pipe.

(An integrated mains voltage/metal detector may have been a good idea)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You still have picture rails in your house?

Reply to
Max Demian

I would have thought the hardwall hangers would do the same job faster and with less fuss - only tool required a hammer. (and if you remove one, it just leaves three tiny holes)

John Rumm

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up the wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

Reply to
John Rumm

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating' a property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

Reply to
Max Demian

when we moved into this house in 1977, I removed hardboard nailed over the

1911 panelled doors! We've still got picure rails.
Reply to
charles

-Purpose-Hanging-Kit

£16.99 less £1's worth of bits just to drill a 3mm 12mm deep hole . No thanks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I removed a few of these. They did leave a mess, fortunately I was decorating the room anyway.

Reply to
Michael Chare

+1
Reply to
newshound

But the video shows how it's "imposssible" to drill into pipes and wires.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are they 'real' panelling, of bevel edged wood, or plywood?

Reply to
Max Demian

The trick is to just tap them on the side a few times gently with a hammer. You can usually get them out cleanly then.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've never dissected one to find out, but I suspect, judjing by the thickness, that it's probably plywood, with a moulging round the eges

Reply to
charles

The pins tend to corrode into place a bit, so a straight pull brings plaster as well. I must try the sideways tapping as another metod - I've always twisted the pin then pulled whilst twisting, but it's not 100%.

Reply to
PeterC

I wonder why they continued with the panelling method after plywood became available? Conservatism I suppose.

Reply to
Max Demian