Very Thin Steel Sheets

I'd like to obtain a piece of steel or aluminum that's about .001x6x24 inches in dimension.

Can you purchase such a thing? At a reasonable price? (ie. $20 or less)

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

mcmaster.com search for "shim stock" they have as thin as .0005.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

You can get a roll of .001 steel shim stock 6" x 100" roll for about $7 + shipping at McMasterCarr item#9500K11. They have aluminum also but the thinnest they have is .002

doug

Reply to
Doug

How thick is Aluminum Foil that you use in the kitchen?

Reply to
Leon

Aluminum flashing is .002 in, I think. Is that too thick?available at builder supply houses. Comes in small rolls, 18" or 24"

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

I think it may be closer to .020". .001" is about the thickness of thin paper. IIRC a dollar bill folded in half is about .005" thick.

Reply to
Leon

OK, I went and measured it. According to my feeler gage and calipers, it is .002 ", .05 mm. It came from Home Depot. I also measured the dollar bill folded in half; your are right there.

"> I think it may be closer to .020". .001" is about the thickness of thin

Reply to
Bill Orr

Aluminum flashing that's only two thou thick?

What department at HD did that come from?

Doug Miller

Roll of aluminum foil I have here mike's out at 0.001

John

Reply to
John

and what application is it sold for?

Reply to
BillyBob

** Try Ace Hardware.

They call it flashing. They call it .0101 ga but it measures .002 inches, about the same thickness of a sheet of

24 weight computer printing paper.
Reply to
Bill Orr

I measured the flashing again with different calipersand have to admit (red faced) that it is closer to .01 inches. My apologies to everyone.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

It looks to be twice the thickness wanted I think.

Reply to
Guess who

Varies. It can be .25mm. 0.001" = .025mm You'd have to pound it with a mallet, so for uniformity it's best to go commercial as has been suggested.

Reply to
Guess who

That makes a little more sense... ten thou qualifies as light-gauge flashing. Two thou is foil. Thanks for the followup.

Doug Miller

Damn you, it's 11:25 pm here and you spoiled my end year jerk retort! After reading a bunch of this thread I thought this would be a good time to go get my new Harbor Freight set of micrometers and see what was going on. I have a piece of that thin aluminum flashing from HD and I have aluminum foil. The flashing measures 0.011 inches (three places), aluminum foil (not heavy duty) measures 0.001 inches.

Don't feel bad. Wait till you get so old you start telling everybody the snow was 4 feet deep every year when you were a kid. So someone looks up the stats and finds out it hasn't been more than 30 inches deep in the last 95 years.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

that sounds more like Aluminum Leaf....;~) I would not want to use that on my roof.

Reply to
Leon

I just measured some I got from Home Depot or Lowes about a year ago. It's 0.009 or a 0.01 with an HD fudge factor :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Mine was .009 so either HD has their usual quality control or I got mine at Lowes :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard