Springs for hanging curtains

Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Reply to
Darrel

I have been installing them for 20 years come this October. Never seen exactly what you mentioned.

I do think it would be possible. Find a spring, as in screen door spring, that is about 2" less than the inside dimension of the place you want to hang them. Two inches of stretch should give you enough tension to keep the spring level.

The alternative is to use CTM 9/16 oval rodding or 3/8 round steel rodding with spring pressure sockets on the end. You won't find either of these at the BORG.

Reply to
Colbyt

I've seen this a few times on different shows on HGTV lately. I think they were calling it "curtain wire" or something like that. On one show there was special hardware for attaching it to the wall and tightening it up a bit so it didn't sag. One situation they used it in was where there were windows on both sides of a corner on the perpendicular walls, and there was an eye bracket the wire went through at the corner - made the whole window hardware situation much simpler than it might be with standard products.

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo

Yes, they were quite common. Often used on doors. mebbe like this?

lee

Reply to
lee houston

It may not be pretty ,but I have used bungee cords, this way

Reply to
cranky

I remember things of this kind from UK many decades ago, but I don't recall whether I've ever seen them anywhere else. It seemed to me that they always sagged at least slightly except with the flimsiest of curtains.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Reply to
Darrel

Darrel

Why would you want to use springs? Seems to me it would be hard to get them thru the cloth. If you dont want to use the commercial rods, just use a piece of 1/4" steel rod and 2 eye hooks. Or 1/4" or 3/8" wooden dowel. Thats all I use. I dont fuss with all those fancy and costly curtain rods, hooks and stuff. On some windows I got some commercial rods that are just a 3/8" hollow steel rod that expands. They work fine too, and have some nicer brackets. As long as I dont have to fuss with all those hooks and other nonsense, I'm happy. This beats what I did when I was younger and would just nail the curtains into the top of the woodwork where it meets the wall, using some small nails !!! (Women seem to get offended by this) :)

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Mark,

I guess I have been hanging around with Designing women to long. That even offends me. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I am looking for the same thing. They had it when I lived in New Zealand. It was covered in vinyl. I haven't found it in the US either!

Reply to
kathy

just found this:

--

luck!

Reply to
kathy

I found them! I have also been looking. Found on eBay. Called curtain rod, spring sash. So it is a curtain sash spring rod is how I would say it. Search ebay with the following description and you should be able to find them.

Newell 2 Pack, 20" - 36", Zinc, Curtain Rod Spring Sash A7004213411 | Add to watch list

Reply to
Icn2u

Hi Darrel,

When I was growing up, it seemed like half the little old ladies I knew had little curtains over their pantry cupboards or porch windows or something hung in thin wire springs, 1/4th inch or so in diameter by however long. I just recently bought a house that is 125 years old and it is begging for li ttle curtains hung on springs. But where, oh where do we find them? Surely there is some place to order them? I need some about 14 inches long and a c ouple about 42 inches long. If you find a good source for buying them, and not coated ones either, would you please email me? Thanks a million! And go od luck in your search.

Reply to
beklousmith

Found'em! 20-36 in. Zinc Spring Sash Rod 2 Pack

Martha

replying to Darrel, snl wrote:

snl

replying to Darrel, philip wrote: Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:

philip

I think Darrel got pissed off and just decided to walk around his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years for you to come along with a solution???

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Gee, Phillip must have upset your apple cart by offering an answer. An answer that probably makes no sense to you, but it's an answer just the same.

Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make sure they meet with your approval.

(Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As usual DummyDad has his bvd's in a knot. Proof you are as stupid as Philip since neither of you can read dates. Now do us all a favor and drop dead.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann