Hanging cabinets 24" OC studs

Hiya Folks, I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which means there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud. As this is my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few of you might have some advice for me. One, is this going to be ok? I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets together at the faces essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one stud. Two, would you recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to the studs and use that as my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would no doubt give me more strength but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Anyway, thanks much for any advice you may have. Cheers, cc

Reply to
Cubby

Yes ____________

Once hooked to other cabinets it is not just on one stud. Even not hooked to others it would probably be OK except for its tendency to spin like a dervish :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I beg to differ. Screwing the cabinets together at the faces doesn't provide the necessary support in the front, and certainly at the back.

Open the wall as much as necessary to toenail in 2X4 stringers. Proper method is 3 nails or screws per intersection, one side gets 2 from top at ends, one from botttom at center. Other side gets 2 from bottom at ends, one from top at center.

Reply to
Abe

Add a ledger across the wall that is screwed into all of the studs, then rest the cabinets on the ledger. A 1x4 painted the same color as the wall will do well -- especially since this is a laundry room where aesthetics are less important. You can also make the ledger more functional by using it as the backing for a towel rod or such. The weight of the cabinets is held by the ledger, and the screw through the back of the cabinet into the stud is just to keep the cabinet from falling forward off the ledger.

Reply to
JimR

You might be able to cut a piece pf 3/4"plywood the exact same size as the cabinets assembled together will be and screw it to the wall, then mount the cabinets to it. Afterwards, put a piece of quarter round all the way around to cover the plywood. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I believe in French cleats. Here is an explanation that is easier than me trying:

fasten one to the wall, the other to the cabinet(s); add a piece at the bottom to maintain the dimension - the bottom one does not need to be a french cleat. The angle cut does not need to be 45, I usually use 25.

You may need to use a piece of trim at the ends of the cabinet to conceal.

Reply to
DanG

Differ all you want but the *OTHER* cabinets have fastenings to the studs too, you know. And there is no support at the front - ever - other than the cabinets being screwed together. BTW, OP, a good place for those screws is under the hinge if possible. Won't show there.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks folks for the replies. I think there are a myriad of ways to do this. I really don't want to hack up the wall too awfully much to install

2x4 blocking and was really hoping to avoid using a french cleat system (although for my shop, I intend to do just that.....once I get a shop :) ). Although in saying that, I will probably go that route or something similar. And I was really hoping to have all of these up today.....sigh. Cheers, cc
Reply to
Cubby