Double sided cabinets with glass doors?

In my planned kitchen remodel I'm interested in hanging a couple of cabinets from a soffit between the dining room and the kitchen. The lower cabinets would serve as a buffet and the upper cabinets as lighted china display that would be accessible from both the kitchen and the dining room. The type of cabinets I'm wanting to use in the remodel would be the European frameless style, (Kitchencraft or Ikea or something similar) and I know that most cabinets get their strength and squarability from the cabinet backing--which if I choose a door on each side would be absent. So, how would you go about achieving the necessary strength and rigidity in double sided glass doored cabinets? What about using glass shelving that rests on metal supports of some kind? (I would prefer the glass shelving for the display aspect.) Would that be strong enough? I was planning on using stock cabinets and doing the install ourselves rather than a custom cabinet builder, but if retrofitting stock cabinets isn't the best idea, then I think we've got enough tools on board to buy the doors and some end panels and fabricate whatever's needed ourselves for this one portion of the project.

Reply to
Sunflower

try rec.woodworking, the folks who actually make cabinets can probably help you.

otoh, there'll be little to no side pressures and all pressure would be gravity, so you may not need too much bracing. perhaps extra thick sides would work out ok. is there a wall on one side or another it can be attached to?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
William Brown

"Sunflower" wrote in message news:Ivzad.282205$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com...

backing--which

Just buy a cabinet with doors on both sides. These are made to be screwed to the ceiling and are stronger than regular wall cabinets. Make sure that the hinges mount to the inside. Remove the doors and get started. I put new cabinets in my last home and the bozo GC forgot the microwave cabinet. He took off the doors of an 42 inch upper and said he would get them cut down for me. Never saw him again. Thats ok I owed him over $4k when he took the powder. Check with

or call 800-289-5386. They have the gold hinges for $3 a set instead of $14 at the box stores. Measure the glass and buy what they call double strength same for shelves. If you like me you will screw up and make the glass to big. So I bought an cheap Ryobi belt sander and set it up on the table saw and reduced and removed the burrs with it. No special belts I used 80, 120. Took a few belts but I had 4 glass doors, with magnetic closers and 4 shelves and including the sander and belts had less than $300 in it. Still got the sander. Take your time glass goes slow. Measure the inside dimension and then reduce by 1/8 top to bottom and 1/4 hinge to latch. I also bought some halogen lights and put them into the ceiling of the cabinets. Made sure that those lights were on when the realtors came to show the place. I had styles in the middle so I was able to support the shelves from the ends and the middle. Would not put a lot of weight on them but I wanted to show off keep sakes that I did not want to dust every day.

Reply to
SQLit