double sided tape

When I read of this product being use to make matching pieces with a router, bandsaw or sander are they generally talking about the standard mylar tape (like 3-M) but with adhesive on both sides or is this some product that is a specialty item for the woodworking industry/ hobbyist? I misatakenly used carpet tape once - *once* - LOL!!

Reply to
C & E

C & E wrote: | When I read of this product being use to make matching pieces with | a router, bandsaw or sander are they generally talking about the | standard mylar tape (like 3-M) but with adhesive on both sides or | is this some product that is a specialty item for the woodworking | industry/ hobbyist? I misatakenly used carpet tape once - *once* - | LOL!!

The carpet tape I use has a fiber web with serious adhesive on both sides. The roll of tape, a pair of shop scissors, and a small Stanley prybar stay together in my shop; and the pry bar is usually needed to break the bond. I bought the tape at Menards and use it for securing difficult-to-clamp workpieces for CNC routing with a 5 HP spindle.

I've never had work shift or come loose without purposeful effort on my part.

Morris Dovey

What works really good for fixture purposes is a 3M product that looks like masking tape but is double stick.

See page # 3335 at

Roger Shoaf

You can get double side scotch tape at any office supply place, in 1/2 or 3/4" widths. I've seen it in wider rolls used on woodworking shows, but dunno where to get it. Lee Valley and Woodcraft both sell a double sided tape, but I think it is more heavy duty and higher strength adhesive than the other stuff.

I've found on some woods the tape can tear out fibers from the surface of the wood. It's also a pain pulling it off. I prefer to put little dabs of wood glue in the waste area, a lot cheaper that way too. But sometimes the tape is handy.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

RE: Subject

At the retail level, my sources tell me that 3M probably has the best double sided tape.

Look for the heavy weight stuff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leuf wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Turner's tape, from Rockler's. Holds on really hard. Pretty cheap, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I like the carpet tape and use it all the time. The best thing I have found.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Kemper

Yep, I wouldn't take a chance with cellophane double-sided tape when attaching a workpiece to a template to be used on the shaper. It may be a pain to pull loose, but then that's the point isn't it? Really don't relish the thought of something easy to pull off coming off while working it on a shaper.

Mark & Juanita

The 3M tape can be used when bandsawing multiple pieces and perhaps light drum sanding of the edges. I would not use it for any shaping that produces lateral stress, such as power shapers, routers, and drilling of surface holes using hole saws, augers, or large drill bits.

Reply to
Willshak

I use it all the time to hold aluminum parts to the machine table for milling. Good tape and CLEAN.

Reply to
CW