double-glazed panels for glass panelled doors?

we are planning to install wooden french window style doors at the back of our house. I visited a couple of timber merchants today which had wooden frame doors ready to be fitted with 13"x7" glass panels.

Does anyone know suppliers who can supply double-glazed panels that would fit in a door like this? I've seen a lot of PVC door manufacturers who will supply double-glazed panelled doors, but we want doors made of wood.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend anyone who can supply wooden glazed doors ready fitted with double-glazed panels?

Thanks for feedback,

Reply to
Jim

They're just "french windows", but that was a good try!

Your timber merchant/BM should be able to supply them, but may charge more than your friendly local glazier. There's a minimum charge per pane, 1/4 sq. m. IIRC, so it may seem expensive.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

How wide are the rebates? - if they are for single glazing they will be about 12mm, for double glazing they need to be about 25mm, meaning the entire door has to be thicker.

Timber doors will cost you twice as much as pvc, for the reason stated above, plus you'll be lucky to find a glazing company who will make units of this size at a reasonable price, given that they have to be toughened glass too.

Reply to
Phil L

...or even 18mm for a 4-6-4 unit.

They don't have to be made of toughened glass, if the OPs sizes are correct.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Go to your local glass supplier (in yellow pages) and tell them what you want.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Jim" contains these words:

Ask your local glazier - they'll make 'em to size. They'll have to be toughened - or at least those below a certain height will have to be - might as well do them all.

Reply to
Guy King

"Size exemption".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Personally, having a sloping garden and kids who delight in bouncing of anything static or otherwise I'd have 'em toughened anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

I had to break into a neighbours house when 2 YO had shut the door on Gran, who had been looking atfer her. I debated whether to break the toilet window (single glazed at high level above the washbasin) or a small (georgian style) panel in the door near catch. I went for the door one, as it should cause less damage/distress, but it took over 5 minutes to get through the laminated glass, with their screaming granddaughter behind. I wish I'd gone for the touilet window instead. It's not always a good idea to go for extra strong glass if not necessary.

Reply to
<me9

The message from contains these words:

Laminated's not the same as toughened. And as for locking myself out - two neighbours have keys and the PiLs are only ten minutes away by car with another set.

Anyway, I've never seen "Easy to break into" as a plus point in glass selection criteria!

Reply to
Guy King

Laminated glass is very good indeed from this perspective.

Reply to
Chris Bacon