Double glazed doors and catflaps

We need a new back door and it makes sense to have a double glazed one. We also have (sigh) four cats and this door is the only one suitable for the little darlings to enter and egress.

To me the obvious idea is to have a non-glazed lower panel and the flap in that. If I am not deluded this must be a reasonably common request. Is it ? Any advice or experience (must not be catricide) will be gratefully received.

TIA,

Dave.

Reply to
Nestor Kiklu

It is much cheaper and easier to have a wall flap installed than mess with door panels. Three of my neighbours are trying to get rid of door flaps in plastic doors, and crying, due to the cost.

A simple hole in the wall costs a few pounds to remedy and is impossible to detect if done properly. They also have additional security over a vulnerable hole in a door.

If practical I would consider this route.

Reply to
EricP

Eh?

All you need to do is take out the framing beads, remove the piece of flat plastic board that the flap is cut into, throw it away and replace with new piece of flat plastic. The plastic board is standard DG filler and for half a single door will cost around 20 quid.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

At the back of our garage we have a metal framed door with two double glazed panels one above the other.

A local glazier came round, took measurements and returned a week later with a new double glazed bottom panel with a cat flat installed. He installed the new panel and we've stored the old one in the garage.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Dawson

We did this a few years ago. Pretty straightforward to cut the panels and the foam sandwiched between them, and fit a standard cat flap.

I recommend Pet Mate as, every time I've needed it (broken parts, questions, etc.) they have been excellent.

Reply to
Bob Eager

More room for the electrodes too...

Spamlet

ditto

Reply to
Steve Walker

Years ago I did this exactly same with a coded collar set up (Staywell

- I think) BUT the door panel had a metal layer sandwiched between the plastic and foam - played f*ck with the poor puss trying to get in....

chortle! Jim

Reply to
jim

If you can name a supplier I will have three happy neighbours. They have all been given quotes of £150 for the panel on it's own. (From

*friendly* fitters)

They just stand there doing fisherman type arm movements muttering that it's just a plastic panel, which it is. But here it's £150.

I agree fully that at £20 it is certainly better than repairing a hole in the wall, on time alone.

Reply to
EricP

For some reason that stuff is very expensive, and I guess it comes in large sheets. I had one fitted for £60 in a house I was working on, and I couldn't buy the material for that.

Reply to
stuart noble

Presumably because it is a little more than "just a plastic panel" to st= op some one just giving it a good whack and knocking it out through deformation or making a hole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Presumably because it is a little more than "just a plastic panel" to stop some one just giving it a good whack and knocking it out through deformation or making a hole.

It's more than just a plastic panel because it has a high insulation value.

But you can cut it with a wood saw.

And sorry, I don't know why the PP is getting such silly quotes. I had one replaced for much less than that, including new beading.

Perhaps it's just that the fitters have so much work on they don't want such a piddly small job. Need to wait for a down turn in DG :-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....