Double-glazed conservatory glass shattered

We had a conservatory built around 2 years ago and have had absolutely no problems with it until the other morning when I saw that the inside (toughened) glass of one of the double-glazed roofing panels had 'exploded' during the night and the floor was covered in glass granules.

Fortunately the outer of the (was) double-glazed roofing panel is intact so the conservatory is still 'waterproof' but I'm very puzzled about why this could suddenly happen for no apparent reason more than two years after completion.

I looked carefully to see if there are any structural cracks in the structure of the conservatory that could account for the problem but could see nothing.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of problem with sealed glazing panels so long after installation and is able to offer any suggestions about why it might have happened?

Fortunately we have a 10 year warranty on the conservatory and a replacement sealed unit is due to be fitted during the next couple of weeks.

Any thoughts anyone?

TIA - Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

Toughened glass does that sometimes. To do with the internal stresses caused by heating it to toughen it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

+1 insurance job :-(
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you have teenagers?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sometimes when a DG unit gets struck by something the reverse side of the panel can fail rather than the one that got hit. With conservatory roof panels it only takes a bird dropping something on it from a height.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, they quit our nest a LONG time ago.

- Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

Possible glass fault? I had a new DG panel (not toughended) sprout a crack out of nowhere about a year down the line.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Next door neighbour had a side-panel in their door "go" after 20+ years, just happened one evening when they were in the house, nobody near it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had exactly the same thing with a conservatory roof panel about 20 years old. The insurance company wouldn't cover it because they said it was due to "atmospheric conditions" (temperature) causing the panel to expand against a glazing bar and subject itself to stress. Needless to say I changed insurers at the next renewal.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

Huge

Hi Dave, I have just had the same problem only I have had 2 roof panels and 1 side glass shatter 2 1/2 years after completion, with no apparent reason. Would love to discuss this with you. Please call 01189 868662

Reply to
kenmargpike

141 is your friend....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

It can be caused by subsidence gradually twisting the conservatory roof and putting an increasing stress on the glass until one day a pane goes 'pop'.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Check out

Tony Bryer

I could have written this post since exactly the same thing happened to me. We are under a 10-year guarantee so that was OK but I was very concerned that my grandchildren might have been playing in there at the time. The company concerned was defensive when I sought compensation for distress and inconvenience (it took over a month to check and put right), implying (I think) that this does not happen without some kind of impact. The weather had been extremely hot that day so I imagine thermal stress could have been the cause. Clearly it can, and does, happen.

Reply to
Frank

Its usually a chip like you get in windscreens that due to vibration or other effect suddenly breaches the toughened outer layer and the rest just falls to bits. it happened on the inside pane of a door in a room we rent a couple of years ago. We think some kids kicking a ball might have finished it off. the outer pane was untouched though, which does seem a little peculiar. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Toughened glass can fracture spontaneously;

Huge

replying to Owain, JUlia Burnapp wrote: Not sure we are having problems with shattered glass three now

Reply to
JUlia Burnapp

tabbypurr

How old is this one I wonder? Brian