Slugs!

I have had a problem with slugs now for years, every time I go into our kitchen I find a slug. If I go into the kitchen late at night I will probably find a few.
About 4 years ago I ripped the kitchen back to the walls as I assumed there were breaches in the walls but it was all dry, complete and tidy.
I have since stripped the kitchen out again, in case I missed something, and replaced the window, done some pointing outside, I can't see how they are getting in. There is no door in the kitchen, can they possible squeeze through the closed UPVC window?
They might be getting in through the French doors in the living room and slithering across, but then surely i'd see more of them in the living room, where I only rarely see them.
We have wood floors with a space underneath, could they be living/ breeding under there?
They are doing my tree in, next job is to put some copper strip around the outside of the house, hopefully that will be effective, until the pikeys nick it.
R D S wrote:

You're me, you are. :-/
I've had similar problems since I moved into this house.
I used to have the same problem in the flat until I re-rendered the outside and replaced all the windows with double glazed units. I'm not saying that was what cured the problem, though...
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every so often!
--
Toby... remove pants to reply

Toby wrote:

<Remembers the dog finding a slug> <Shudders>
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:42:22 +0000, Toby wrote:

We don't.
We did once see a hedgehog and brought it home and put it in the yard as I read they eat slugs, but it buggered off.
On 18/10/2012 22:56, R D S wrote:

I have a healthy, well-fed hedgehog resident in my garden, but it doesn't seem to make much impression on the number of slugs. I suspect that would need a hedgehog army.
Colin Bignell
On 2012-10-19, Nightjar wrote:

Lucky! I saw my first hedgehog for some years this summer (in a cemetery, but alive), and then saw two more in the month after that (flattened, unfortunately).
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:42:22 +0000, Toby wrote:

We had a long haired Maine Coon, and it used to bring in a couple attached to its underside...then randomly drop them round the house.
Stepping on a slug in your bare feet at 3 a.m....yuk.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Thursday, 18 October 2012 22:21:24 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

Exactly the same issue here. French doors are the only place that I can conceive that they are squeezing in, but the size of the buggers seems to suggest that they can't possibly get in that way. Never caught one in the act of breaking and entering, so can't give a definitive answer.
ALthough we do have some suspended floors, we only ever find them in the back of the house which is parque (?) onto a concrete slab. Their slime trails do generally seem to lead back to the door area, but we just put up with them, and SWMBO turns up with a pair of scissors to lift them outside before despatching them by closing the blade. Can't quite bring myself to do that...
Matt
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 01:14:45 -0700, larkim wrote:

I caught one squeezing under the plinth in the kitchen, where there is barely a gap.
I'm going to give the back doors a thorough examination.
Similar here - they were being attracted by the dog's dish.

I found one on the inside of the door, where it had squeezed under the sealing strip - this was ( I thought) a very close-fitting DG door and hadn't considered that possibility.

Spray all around likely entrance points with a strong solution of bleach or disinfectant - it definitely puts the buggers off. Do it every couple of evenings until you can be sure the problem's gone away. Every one you find and destroy /flush down the bog is one that can't breed indoors.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:44:47 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

We had a greenhouse installed a couple of years ago,metal framed mounted a low brick foundation. Before I got around to sealing the gap between frame and brick a slug around 10mm diameter was found entering one day. The gap was only about 1 or 2mm but the bugger had the ability to shrink down and get through, when found it was about 10mm diameter either side of a section where it was squeezing through the gap. It got through fairly quickly but seconds after was about 1mm thick over a larger area due to a boot.
G.Harman
     snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes:

A very large one came out through a tiny air vent slot rather quickly in the lawnmower motor casing as I started cutting the lawn.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 20/10/2012 10:55, Andrew Gabriel wrote: <>

Have slugs got bigger?
I remember from childhood seeing small ones- half to one inch. Now I seem to see them so large they are thinking about using a deed poll to call themselves Anaconda. And instead of being nondescript pale-to-grey they have orange skirts and things.
--
Rod

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:59:10 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Strictly's on - they're tango skirts.
My water barrel has a nice little colony of leaches that are about the size of the big slugs. I thought that the first one was a slug at first glance, then it headed down into the water. I don't know what effect the frosts will have.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 20/10/2012 12:45, PeterC wrote:

I thought tango was the colour of their skin?
Actually, have a sort of affection for tango colour - ICL 2900 mainframes in Hot Tango!
--
Rod

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:55:26 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Don't remind me....
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

It may be the time of year for it, I found one a couple of days ago. He was sitting on the floor gazing longingly at the fridge. They are very flexible, he fitted down the gaps in the plug hole, with a hot water enema to aid him on his way.
I think your problem lies in the snip ^ If you have a suspended wooden floor, you will have vented air bricks at almost ground level. The holes are about 10 mm square, and are very inviting for the curious gastropod.
Ok, that is almost certainly how they get in, how you stop it is another matter. Periodic scattering of slug pellets under and in the air brick? Cheap to try, relatively safe and will not interfere with teh underfloor ventilation.
Good luck
Al.

For what it's worth on a thread this old. I caught one sneaking out from the side of the washing machine. Washing machine out, salt down and I have never seen one since.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:09:46 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

The tit that fitted my kitchen made a pigs ear of the drain pipes from the sink & washer. At a push they could possibly be getting in up the pipe that the washer waste fits loosely into.
I've bought a 20m roll of roofing copper. If it's true that they don't like the stuff, they are going to have their work cut out.