Convert double glazed conservatory roof to solid insulated

I have a small lean-to type conservatory with a double glazed roof. It gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I think I remember seeing somewhere online that solid insulated panels could be used to replace the doubled glazed units. Does anyone know if this is so and where they can be sourced? Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen Tanner

I do not know of any panels that simply replace the DG panels but there are plenty of firms doing complete roof replacements for conservatories. We had one done five years back, roof replaced in a day and a second day to plasterboard the inside and complete electrical work. I can say it has made a huge difference as our conservatory was built when you were still allowed to add one onto a room without any divider between

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You probably lost more house heat through your conservatory than the rest of the house !.

Also, by removing the original patio door/rear door you are assuming that the conservatory provides adequate burglar resistance. Insurance companies (who generally insist on a 5-lever lock for the final exit) might use this as an excuse to avoid paying out on a claim.

Reply to
Andrew

Check with your local planners.

I don't know if it's still true, but some years ago you were allowed to build a conservatory up to a certain size without planning permission.

It only counted as a conservatory if the roof was transparent.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Insurance companies don't insist on a 5 lever lock. They ask what locks you have fitted (often offering a tick box selection) and then adjust the premium accordingly.

They know that often the bottom panel of a uPVC double glazed door is just a piece of flimsy foam sandwiched between two flimsy sheets of uPVC that are 2mm thick, and easily kicked in.

You can get replacement panels where the uPVC sheets are 4mm thick and with a sheet of MDF sandwiched in the foam. (possibly providing less insulation).

I doubt if most people realise there is a big difference in Eurolocks with regards security.

A £14 lock from SF that is easy snapped to gain entry

Or a £45 lock with many additional features

alan_m

Also people don't know how easy it is to change Eurolocks - just a single screw and a couple of minutes. eg if you need to give a key to somebody while you're away, swap in a different lock for the duration. So if they copy the key, it won't work once you get home and change the locks back again.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Unless someone cross threaded the screw holding the Eurolock in.

I changed all our patio doors to Avocets, but when it came to the garage back door I found it was impossible to unscrew the fixing screw. I guess that only an impact driver would remove it, but it isn't yet necessary as the Yale lock for the garage door has a 3-star kitemark.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Except in the case of some 3 star Yale Eurolocks which have a dimple on the side which prevents them coming out of the handle cover plate. You also have to remove the door handle to remove/replace these.

Otherwise as you say, remove one screw, put the key in the lock and turn it slightly to align the cam and it comes straight out. Slide the new one in and re-insert the screw. A two minute job.

Reply to
alan_m

Aviva does (or used to).

But this is the final exit as intended, ie fitted to the 'thermal envelope' (aka front wall).

By removing the patio doors after installing a conservatory, it is simply giving the insurance co a reason to decline your claim, which they could not if the burglar simply chucked a paving slab through the original patio doors or, the modern way is to simply melt the plastic with a blowlamp and length of metal tubing.

Reply to
Andrew

greyrider

Years ago our next-door neighbours were burgled. They figured it was the partner of one of their grown-up children. He would only have had access to their back door key, so I swapped their Euro barrel and my garage one

- there's no way that he'd have guessed that he then had a key for my garage.

Reply to
SteveW