Any Internal doors that are glazed & fully insulated?

Hi All we have a small scullery-type extension on the back entrance to our house. It is single skinned brick and has not great roof insulation, although it does have an old double-glazed metal door. So it takes the worst of the winter weather off but remains on the cold side.

The other side of this, forming the main door to the house, is an old but solid half-glazed wooden door, fairly well fitted. I am not sure whether this was the original back door, before the extension was built, or whether it is a normal internal style. It seems somewhat in-between to me.

I am wondering about thermal improvements that could be made to this arrangement, without too much work.

Are there any style of half-glazed "internal" doors that are (a) double glazed and (b) have good insulation in the rest of the door?

I don't really want to fit an external grade door to this second entrance, that would mean you having to open two 'heavy' doors in order to get into the body of the house.

Thanks for any thoughts J^n

Reply to
jkn

If it was the original back door, why not simply replace it with a modern composite door. This will come complete with a frame and door will be insulated and if glazed will be DG.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It could be worth looking into internal doors for conservatories, since they have roughly the same kind of problem: wanting an 'internal' looking door, but going to a space that's not well insulated and effectively 'outside'.

Unfortunately searches for that are rather taken over by the bifold brigade, but maybe it is something else you can search for.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well, it depends what you mean by 'modern composite'. None of the listings I have seen for 'indoor doors' say that the glazing is DG. And I imagine most non fire-doors designed for purely indoor use only have 'egg box' type innards, ie. not really insulated.

So you might be talking about a modern composite 'outdoor' door. And my issue with that is that it will likely be a lot heavier and bulkier than the location warrants.

Happy to have some examples shown me though, thanks.

Reply to
jkn

Interesting idea, thanks Theo

Reply to
jkn

I'm not sure they *need* to be. I have a half-glazed outside door that's a UPVC frame with the panels being foam between two thin sheets of aluminium (1mm?). I imagine those panels are quite lightweight.

The UPVC frame is fairly chunky, but maybe that's to keep the door rigid (UPVC isn't very strong) and to hold the weight of the glass.

Maybe something in aluminium profile would be stronger and thus lighter? Or is that too 'exterior' looking?

If rainproofness isn't important, perhaps it would be possible to have the foam (eg ply/foam/ply sandwich) and thermal break the frame somehow? Thermal breakage is something included in UPVC and ali profiles that would need to be built into a timber door.

Or maybe just live with the outside of the frame being 'cold' and only the panel is insulated? (Perhaps with some detailing to give it fake panels or beading on the surface)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Hi Theo

You make good points - I may be somewhat conflating 'exterior door' with 'heavy fire door'. Maybe I need to spend some time at Wickes...

Reply to
jkn