Internal doors

A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to update as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit beyond our toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any suggestions:

  1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the millions).

  1. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

Reply to
John

Mine looked a bit "orangey", sanded the varnish down and they painted up fine, they were hung on pin hinges so that made the job a touch easier.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I charge £40 to hang a door incl.fitting the lock etc. Prob £35 given one job of 10 doors.

Peter

How long does it take you to hang a door if you don't mind me asking? I gave up on it as a bad job, couldn't earn any money at it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

thats not bad, lots I have seen charge =A370. I do my own (and other people's now they know I can do them!) I find it even easier if you have an old door to take off and use as a template! good electric plane makes the job easier too :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

What do you mean by "updating"? What do you want them to look like?

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

For internal doors.. 5 a day (long day).. As the other message suggests, an old door as a template (however badly fitted) saves lots of time. About 1hr per door to hang then fit all locks/handles at the same time.

Peter

For internal doors.. 5 a day (long day).. As the other message suggests, an old door as a template (however badly fitted) saves lots of time. About 1hr per door to hang then fit all locks/handles at the same time.

Peter

For internal doors.. 5 a day (long day).. As the other message suggests, an old door as a template (however badly fitted) saves lots of time. About 1hr per door to hang then fit all locks/handles at the same time.

Peter

Hanging new doors is one of those jobs that needs to be perfect. When people say they've hung their own, I'm usually tempted to say that it looks that way as well, but I'm too polite.

Reply to
Stuart Noble
.

Dunno - looking for options. They have discoloured a bit and are too dar for current taste.

Reply to
John

I'd replace them meself. I hung a door for the first time the other week - I had a hollow door coming out and used that as a template for the hinge rebates - other than having to slice a bit off the sides of the new door (actually an old Victorian door), it had no hassle with it at all. eBay is a goodplace for cheap interesting doors.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster