Internal doors

Hello,

What is the feeling here about painting/varnishing the underside of pine internal doors? I've hung my doors and will soon begin the laborious task of varnishing them, but I am loathed to remove them just to varnish the underside.

Has anybody not sealed the underside and later regretted it? e.g. the door has warped as a direct result of the underside not being done.

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

???? I'm sure if you are really troubled by it you can find some ingenious way of getting some paint ( or some other sealant) on the underside if there is any sort of space at all....but I wouldn't really bother .

Reply to
fictitious

If the door is going to move, it'll move. Sealants may slow the process a little

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If it going to be wet and an exterior door ok, but its a waste of time on interior doors

Reply to
ransley

no point at all in doing that. Varnish doesnt provide enough of a 'seal' to prevent warping.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I agree with your sentiment for all the wrong reasons.

Bare wood kept in a dry house won't warp (at least, not once it has initially dried out) so it isn't worth doing.

But varnishes have been used on boats for years, and they do keep the water out!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

They keep water out, but not water vapour. That's what causes wood to expand/contract.

Reply to
Stuart Noble