Double Sided Tape measure

Saw something neat at Home Depot tonight. A double sided tape measure. Not only were the measurements printed on both sides, but the hook at the end was doubled sided as well. There are times when doing things "backwards" is the easier way.

Oh, and it looks like Ridgid has a newish table saw out. Still not as good as the 3650.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Did you buy one? Would be interesting to check its accuracy from side to side.

Envisioning the manufacturing process (both sides being imprinted at the same time?) it may well be identical (otherwise, it could cause nothing but misery trying to get parts that would result in "square" if both sides were used on the same project).

Finding two tape measures that agree has always been problematic IME, but what I really want a shop tape measure to do is agree with the tape on my table saw.

So far, Stanley 12' are the only ones I've found to be consistent in that regard for my use.

If you spring for one, let us know how that works out.

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman

Where I can, I like to use a steel rule rather than a tape of any sort. They are usually pretty accurate.

Reply to
Stuart

Swingman wrote in news:sL-dnTTVaqhQy9DQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*snip*

I didn't buy one. I didn't think to check both sides for consistency until I posted the message. They were "Husky" brand and a 25' tape cost $20.

They seemed to be more of a construction grade tool, where accuracy to

1/32" isn't that critical.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

FWIW, the Home Despot web site has two reviews on the 40 footer (they don't list any others that I could find) and the only point on which either chalked it was that they wanted more standout (they were getting about 7 feet they said).

Reply to
J. Clarke

Agreed but a 4' rule is sorta tought to use in the shop. ;~)

And to make matters worse most of mine have a coarse measurement in the

32'nds, when switching from a tape, 1/16" marks look like 1/8" marks. It take ms a few momwnts to focus on the correct marks.
Reply to
Leon

Yep, it is always a problem because drop them once or twice and you surely bend the tounge. I have a dozen tapes but try not to keep any two of the same type. Then I just make sure I use the same tape for the whole job. I also always calibrate my TS fence with a rule and then when I double check my rips I can get a feel for how bad the tape is and if it is over or under.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yep ... a critical component of the holy grail of "square", along with batch cutting parts, before moving a fence/reference edge.

I have two Lee Valley "right handed" tapes that agree to less than 1/64" over the most usual working range for cabinetry (providing you make sure the hook is held down securely while reading the opposite end, which limits the guaranteed accuracy range accordingly to roughly two arm's lengths).

That notwithstanding, this last job a couple of weeks back, when all the hardwood drawer parts were batch cut (directly from a a CutList Plus layout generated from an excel spreadsheet) in Leon's shop; and the bottoms cut in mine (as well as the dovetails and dadoes in the hardwood) each one of us took one of these LV tapes for measuring off the cutlist, and the parts worked out spot on.

(I almost decided to cut the 1/2" maple ply drawer bottoms a bit heavy in both dimensions just in case, but decided to tempt fate, and every single one fit like a glove at final assembly).

These are the parts Leon batch cut off the cutlist, and the next four pictures are the results in my shop:

for some reason when cutting in my shop, I've yet to find a Stanley

12' that does not agree with my TS's tape ... a godsend.

I'll take what I can get, and I like the size of that size tape measure ... anything over 12' for what I do in the shop is just too cumbersome.

Even better than tapes that agree, is any situation in which a story stick lends itself.

Reply to
Swingman

the hell was your iPhone doing in West Bretton, UK??

Thought you moved to Katy, TX??

Damn iPhones ... no wonder they can't complete a call, they're lost, very lost!! :)

Reply to
Swingman

I looked at one in the store today--it looked like the markings on both sides were pretty much in registration--there seemed to be some random variation but it was at most about a line-width which I would estimate at 1/128 or less (it wasn't a quarter of the smallest division anyway) and it wasn't progressive--if you measure 6 feet on one side you'll get six plus or minus about that amount on the other side, plus any difference in the hook.

Reply to
J. Clarke

> What the hell was your iPhone doing in West Bretton, UK??

I actually flew there to take the pictures, better lighting.

LOL I mentioned that the first time you posted that pic a week or so back. Go figger.

Reply to
Leon

"Swingman" wrote

------------------- I have great affection for an old Stanley tape measure myself.

Yes, it is accurate. But more importantly, it protected me from a table saw kickback. The piece that was kicked backed was quite sharp and would have penetrated me like a spear. That old Stanley was on my belt and took the brunt of the blow. It almost knocked me off my feet.

There is a big scar across the front of that old tape measure. And every time I put it on my belt, I feel a little more protected. I know, I am being superstitious. But I am also more aware of safety every time I put it on. It is a constant reminder.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Have you seen Fastcap's tape measures? They have some really nice features and are surprisingly cheap.

Story Pole tape has a white edge with no markings that can be marked with a pencil and wiped off with a thumb. No need to read a number off the tape while measuring and then read it again to mark your layout.

The PMS (don't give this one to the wife) has both metric and standard measurements and has a nifty auto-lock feature. You just pull out the tape and it stays there - no need to engage a lock.

Both have an erasable notepad, a built-in pencil sharpener and a nice belt clip that has a lever to relieve the tension so it won't fray the edges of your pants or apron.

Best part - I bought one of each and got change back from a $20.

RicodJour

The point is simply use one for a job. Front to back should be the same - machine made.

I have a different type - metric and Imperial both on top and left and right sides.

Nice when I have to measure metric.

Mart> >> Saw something neat at Home Depot tonight. A double sided tape measure.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news:4d4dcdc6$0$19585$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

The Stanley FatMax tape measures with the wide tape that resists the old kink-bend-and-fall routine are nice.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Have you seen Fastcap's tape measures? They have some really nice features and are surprisingly cheap.

actually have 5 Fastcap tape measures. Two have been cheerfully replaced because of inaccuracy and ror stopped winding the tape back in the case. At leas 2 have a problem with the hook not giving the same measurement when compairing the inside vs outside measurement, off in excess of 1/32"

I have purchased the yellow Pro version, the Green Left/Right, and the White flat tape. The green and white units have had to be repaced.

All in all I would say thes are great tape measures for rough carpentry of for building fences. Not so great in the shop.

ALL have excelent pencil sharpeners however. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I find that the FatMax tapes tend to tip over when transfering a measurement to the wood and you let go of the case. The tape is so stiff that when you push the tape over to make the mark it tilts the case.

Reply to
Leon

L:

That could be a problem with a lot of tapes. I just keep the case near the marking point and tip the case. Steel rulers are fine for something within their spans. When facing a measurement in a trapped area is bigger than one steel ruler, often putting another ruler side by side and sliding it up the remaining distance helps to get an accurate figure.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I just checked both of mine, and the inside/outside measurements are right on. If a tape is off between inside and outside measurements, I usually just tweak the hook until the measurements agree.

I bought the Story Pole because you can write on it. I find it easier and at least as accurate to make pencil marks rather then trying to read and remember numbers, and the white note area is also useful for writing a note about the measurement.

I don't know what the differences are with the two you had to replace, but I have the yellow and orange Pro ones. They have to be better, right? It says Pro right on it.

I broke my sharpener trying to get a square carpenter's pencil into the round hole.

RicodJour

Whick is OK if you are right handed, pulling or holding the tape with your left hand, and marking with your right. I typically measure from left to right and the puts the case on the wrong side. ;~( I do however try to buy

12' tapes for the shop, they tend to have a tape that is easier to push flat with out upsetting the case too much.

Steel rulers are fine for something

A little short cut here, and I do this with inside measurements with a tape measure also, is to measure from one inside location to an even foot marking and place a small pencil mark at the location on what I am measuring. You you don't want to mark a wall or floor place a piece of tape down and put the mark on the tape. Then measure from the opposite side to that mark and add the 2 measurements. If you make you mark on an even foot measurement you simply add full feet to your second measurement.

Reply to
Leon