Chainsaw chains question

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or are there more differences that I need to know about?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs (anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:
57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?
Cheers, T i m

Cheers. Obviously a wee bit more to it than I first realised.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 01/03/2017 23:13, Tim+ wrote:

No you realised immediately that there was more to it than you knew.
Bill

Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side....
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

T i m wrote:

    My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which is a pain.

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain? Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Mine is definitely 57. Has yours stretched and been bodged by someone?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I've used https://www.newsawchains.co.uk/ for a few years; whenever I forget exactly which sawchain I need (I've had more than one saw, sometimes two at the same time), I email him, he tells me what I need, I order, and I get my new sawchains by return post.
Yes, I have a vested interest: he's good, quick, and clearly a small business: I like to support such people!
John

Shame his prices are more than twice as much as I've paid on eBay. Of course his chains may be twice as good but given that my use is so occasional I'm not going to worry too much.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Thank you for that. I keep meaning to buy another chain for my saw before I actually sharpen away the existing one to nothing.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 62nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Tim+ wrote:

    No, it was made that way.

I would still have thought that there was enough chain tension adjustment to take up half a link's length. Certainly on my Lidl chainsaw there's plenty of scope to take up that degree of slack.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+ wrote:

    Not on my model. It was optimised for the bastard chain length.
jim <k> wrote:

Yes, at least in bicycle chains.
https://goo.gl/images/U7HvSn
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 17:07:22 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

There are various widths and pitches but two main general purpose ones.
Take the chain to the shop and they'll likely give you a duplicate over the counter. There are also variations available for different wood and "rip cutting" and "cross cutting".