Chainsaw chains question

For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or are there more differences that I need to know about?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I believe they come in different widths and pitches as well as designs (anti kickback etc) and you might be looking for a:

57 Links, 3/8" Pitch, 0.050" Gauge (assuming a 16" bar)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cheers. Obviously a wee bit more to it than I first realised.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No you realised immediately that there was more to it than you knew.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There are various widths and pitches but two main general purpose ones.

Take the chain to the shop and they'll likely give you a duplicate over the counter. There are also variations available for different wood and "rip cutting" and "cross cutting".

Reply to
harry

Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My Lidl one uses about 56.5 links. I had to modify 57 link chains which is a pain.

Reply to
Capitol

That's weird. Isn't their enough tension adjustment to fit a 57 link chain? Haven't stripped mine down yet so will have to wait and see.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, at least in bicycle chains.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mine is definitely 57. Has yours stretched and been bodged by someone?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've used

for a few years; whenever I forget exactly which sawchain I need (I've had more than one saw, sometimes two at the same time), I email him, he tells me what I need, I order, and I get my new sawchains by return post.

Yes, I have a vested interest: he's good, quick, and clearly a small business: I like to support such people!

John

Reply to
Another John

No, it was made that way.

Reply to
Capitol

Shame his prices are more than twice as much as I've paid on eBay. Of course his chains may be twice as good but given that my use is so occasional I'm not going to worry too much.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I would still have thought that there was enough chain tension adjustment to take up half a link's length. Certainly on my Lidl chainsaw there's plenty of scope to take up that degree of slack.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thank you for that. I keep meaning to buy another chain for my saw before I actually sharpen away the existing one to nothing.

Reply to
Huge

Not on my model. It was optimised for the bastard chain length.

Reply to
Capitol