chainsaw oiler

I have a suspicion that my oiler for my chainsaw isn?t delivering enough oil. It does use chain oil, but just not much. Holding the chainsaw over a piece of newspaper and revving the engine (as suggested in the manual) doesn?t produce any obvious splatters.

I?ve turned the adjuster up to max but this doesn?t seem to make any difference. Is it time for a strip down? It?s just a cheap Aldi Gardenline 16? saw but it?s perfectly adequate for my needs.

Anything to look out for?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Could be a blockage or a stripped plastic gear in the drive. They are usually available as spares.

Reply to
newshound

Have you used biodegradeable chain oil? That gets gummy and clogs the passageways with air and time, so unless you use the chainsaw regularly, it can be a problem.

If you use the chainsaw only occasionally and a little, you can add oil externally with an oil can, or use motorcycle chain lube in a spray can, or somehow otherwise add lube, and just leave the oiler be...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yep

Didn?t know that. Looks like a strip down is in order.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hopefully just a blockage. It?s not that old or had that much use.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can you still get "biodiesel"? Apparently an excellent and cheap gummy-bar-oil-remover. Chuck the bits in, let sit for a few days, and the fraction that eats the rubber in yer car seals eats the gummy oil.

You may have to scrape out/ream with wire the passages and bottom of the channel in the bar, though.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Both excellent points. I have a couple of cheap sprays of "chain oil" intended I think mainly for bicycles. These came either from Lidl, TS, or SF. These would be fine on a chainsaw (possibly not biodegradable, if you are really green).

One thing you should *not* use them on is a hedge trimmer, they glue the blades together after being left a while.

DAMHIK.

Reply to
newshound

Thomas has made good points

Always store the saw after running mineral oil for a tank full if you are not going to use it till next season. If it has gummed empty the oil tank and put a cup full of white spirit in overnight but sit the saw on something absorbent.

One should not run a saw with the chain off as the clutch can unwind on the overrun but if you go carefully you can do it and observe the oil being pumped out by the bar mount.

Next place to look is the oil pick up, which is weighted and like the top of a pepper cellar, small holes to keep debris out but sometimes a rat's turd of small bits accumulates in the flexible pipe to the pump. I check this by using compressed air in the pipe, taken off the pump inlet and with the pick up off.

Last check is the drive to the pump which is often a plastic gear which might be stripped but also if the saw bogs down and the clutch stalls it gets hot enough to melt the plastic.

Chances are it is an Einhell saw and if the pump is US not worth fixing.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Wood chips in the oil tank.

Mine has a filter on the oil tank filler to stop this happening

Reply to
harry