Using DIY prefix

I can see them all?

Reply to
Jim K..

Just came back to the site and thought I had come to a pharmacy site! My tablet displays 30 headings at a time, 15 were about drugs only 6 were actually DIY the rest various OT posts. We might have to start prefixing DIY in the subject line to cut out wading through the useless cross.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I have started to select a range of headings, then unselect the proper ones, and delete the rest. At least it clears a load of crap out of the way.

Reply to
Davey

Pay ?10/year for a NIN subscription, they filter out most of the spam.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This highlights the advantages of using a paid for news service! I?ve not seen a single one of these posts on News.Individual.NET.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com writes

Yes. Luckily my news reader has a *kill* function.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Doesn't happen with Plusnet's "free" offering to customers either

Reply to
newshound

Looks like my news feed (giganews) must have filtered those before I saw them since I can see them on gg, but not via my newsfeed.

Reply to
John Rumm

PN's service is provided by giganews these days...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. And I filter the rest using Thunderbird.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Er Killfiles ?

If usenet were a more active medium, there might be scope for setting up kill-lists so that we can all work to zap the spammers.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I subscribe to NIN and I saw a whole load of SPAM postings via diybanter.

In fact, after clearing out yesterday I can see a whole new load from CobFent cluttering up the group today.

I still haven't found the time/energy etc. to work out how to wild card killfile entries for the Windows version of Pan and diybanter seems to include an 8 character hex string in the author string which changes with each post (unless this is provided by the spammer).

One day I will find the Round Tuit.

Anyway, these posts aren't currently being filtered by NIN.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I haven't seen any of the current round of pharmacy or dope-growing spam, maybe they cancel it rather than filtering it from source, so it depends when you grab headers?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Strange. I'm using NiN and I saw several, although I quickly killfiled them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just get rid of all diybanter, there is never anything useful there anyway.

Reply to
dennis

Actually they are there, the reason I didn't see them is that my diybanter filter killed them for me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, maybe I didn?t see them because I have Diybanter.com and example.com killfiled?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed , but that is easier said than done, unless you have a suitable filter?

I've managed to develop a filter that kills most of the pharmaceutical dealers, but, as it is pretty much a drugs list, if I were to post it here I guess some spam filters might get twitchy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I haven't seen any drug related ones recently so I assume that the killfile in Gravity is doing its job.

Agree about the OT posts: Brexit, Brexit and yet more Brexit.

I do wish they would f*ck off and starte a uk.brexit newsgroup

- and take all the idiots who insist on replying to posts from Rod Speed with them as well.

Reply to
Terry Casey

news.eternal-september.org works for me. That and an ever growing filter-set (posters, subjet and contents) keeps the pointless drivel to a minimum.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk