Subject Author Posted Replies

raised beds
Hello, I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done this before, so I have a couple of questions: I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some people...
17
17

cutting glass
Hello, I had a couple of cupboards from Ikea that had glass doors. The cupboards are long gone but I have found the doors during a spring clean of my garage! They are too big to fit in the wheely bin...
7
7

Clay rest-bend cracked. Repair or replace?
Have a look at this photo of my waste stack at the point where it joins the clay rest bend: Two questions: 1. The clay rest bend is cracked. The bit between 3 and 6 on the clock if y ou looked at it...
10
10

Painting rough pebble dash
A horrible job from memory, especially as the 'pebbles' are huge, and need a brush not roller to cover. No choice though as was previously painted. Re ad somewhere that brushing on a thin coat of...
6
6

Gas meter supports/ fixings
Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the meter from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2"...
4
4

How do white LEDs work?
Yes, I've googled it, but there are many different approaches. Which one is used in domestic LED bulbs?
25
25

Which material for shelving?
I have to erect some shelves: 22 inches wide, supported at the ends by heavy-duty bookcase-type uprights and brackets. This is to hold fairly weighty audio-video equipment. Given an equal thickness...
64
64

Paint.
Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood. Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux, etc. Are they worth it? Must admit I've never been that impressed...
7
7

Petition about charges at LA tips
Ref the recent discussion about flytipping - someone (not me) has started a petition to get the gov'mint to stop the charging for rubbish like: rubble, mud, turf, asbestos etc
17
17

Storing passwords and associated security questions - X-post
At the moment I keep a folder (well, more than one) with details like online access passwords and security questions for various accounts. Passwords kept with all the other paper work for the account....
30
30

Backpack sprayers
Before I take this one back to Screwfix and get my money back, can I just test my understanding? I assume that the way they are supposed to work is that the lever pumps air into the tank, which then...
23
23

iPad error (-1) [bit of a rant]
Hi So I have an old iPad 3G version 1. It must be 6 years old. I'd never used the 3G bit until recently (about 6 months ago) when I stuck in a SIM card just to see how it performs. It was really hit...
8
8

TMH could do my job
I gave TMH a call on my way to work. I had a fire alarm panel that was bleeping when you punched it. TMH "Are you going to tell them not to punch it?" Yes, and it worked.

OT: Going rate for labourers
critcher seems to be another troll.
4
4

Well, that was a success.
I only finished crawling about under a mate's car an hour ago and managed a whisky in the (much needed) bath. I probably ought to wish I was lazier!
10
10