iPad error (-1) [bit of a rant]

Hi So I have an old iPad 3G version 1. It must be 6 years old. I'd never used the 3G bit until recently (about 6 months ago) when I stuck in a SIM card just to see how it performs. It was really hit and miss as to whether it managed to find the carrier, and after a few days the 3G bit stopped working. I removed the SIM card.

Since then the battery life has been very bad, and after a few weeks it just went into recovery mode. Needless to say, recovery in this mode (or DFU mode) failed with the error code (-1). I tried multiple times; that's the best advice I found. Googling this code seemed to indicate a hardware problem. iPad then went into bottom drawer.

So, a few months later I tried again. Still won't recover (don't know why I thought it would!). But I googled more and someone suggested it could be the baseband chip. Now I associate this with the 3G part and had a look at some disassembly videos. I broke it open gently, and then simply removed the communications module. This turned it into a iPad WiFi only - so what. It didn't bother me.

Now I have a working iPad again.

And the rant... I initially posted my question on apple support community forums. There did not seem to be anybody else with a solution. Then I found the cure and posted that thinking that it might help someone else in the future.

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..." I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered correctly. Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

BTW I didn't buy the iPad, it was a gift from a happy customer.

Reply to
Grumps

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

The film, 'Steve Jobs', is worth a look. Surprised it got released!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Their forums are awash with people moaning about problems and no fixes, and how poor apple are. Those posts haven't been removed.

If you can guarantee it shows apple in a bad light then I'll watch it ;)

Reply to
Grumps

I think a version 1 iPad will be more or less junked anyway thanks to software updates. It will not be much fun to use.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think many companies do not like anyone telling people to open the product as it has happened that some ham fisted individuals, reading such things on a support site have blundered in completely ruined the device then sued the company for giving advice that renders the unit inoperative and then expects a new device or compensation. I'm afraid the litigious society has caused this. Back in the old days of the 1980s we used to write in magazines about opening home computers to do various things from change keyboards to increase memory, but if those times were now, it would be frowned upon I'm sure.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It still lets me read emails, browse the web (most of it), plays temple run, PVZ and angry birds. What more do you need!

Reply to
Grumps

I think you are being a little unfair, see my earlier post on this subject. I have no connection with Apple and happen to think they charge far too much for their tech, but I do understand the culture we find ourselves in these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Flash videos

Reply to