Backpack sprayers

Before I take this one back to Screwfix and get my money back, can I just test my understanding?

I assume that the way they are supposed to work is that the lever pumps air into the tank, which then forces the liquid out of the hose?

Only, what's happening with this one (and indeed the old one I threw away) is that the pump is filling with liquid and pumping it straight out of the hose. The manual says to pump it 6 times before use, but it hydraulic locks long before that ...

Reply to
Huge

Have you looked at the Q&A on the SF website?

"If you are unable to pressuris the container you will need to check that the rubber seals & o-rings in all fittings are clean and free from damage, and all connections are tight. The spray nozzle will need to be attached to the unit to successfully pressurise the container, I'm not sure why the handle would not operate without the nozzle being attached to the unit as the 2 are not directly connected. If you can't get it going could you visit one of our Trade Counters? The colleague in store will be able to check the unit over with you and either help you get it going, or if the unit is faulty, arrange an exchange for you. If you can't get in store give us a call on 03330 112

112 for return/exchange." "
Reply to
GB

Yep.

Done all that.

That's what I'm going to do.

I suspect it's not so much faulty as crap.

Reply to
Huge

That's not what I recall of the one I threw away a few years ago. On that the lever pushed the liquid into a separate, smaller bit. The big tank was never under pressure.

Reply to
Robin

Oh. Perhaps it works as it should, and it's just crap?

Anyone recommend a decent one, then?

Reply to
Huge

I don't have a knapsack one, but no problems from the 5 litre Hozelock sprayer which has a shoulder-strap, I notice they do a 10 litre version.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't generally like Hozelok stuff; it tends to be expensive and fragile.

Reply to
Huge

I have one stashed away that I haven't used for a few years; bought it for one big job.

As far as I recall it seemed to work O.K. once I adjusted to a different way of working from the smaller pump up sprayers.

Backpack with a big handle on one side.

In what way are you finding it crap?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I saw Amazon were selling a Li battery powered spray nozzle. I'm planning to buy her one, but not until June. This was about £40 IIRC. Can't find it on the site at the moment, but lots of others from about£80 upwards.Anyone else bought one yet?

Reply to
Capitol

I've had mine 10 to 15 years and no problems other than the pipe getting bent where I trod on it, plastics haven't gone brittle, not even needed washers replacing, though I notice the design has changed, the pipe exits at the bottom of the tank now, rather than having an internal dip tube.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Miserable flow rate, having to constantly pump the handle to get anything out.

Reply to
Huge

I think that's they technique with the knapsack ones ... you wander round rocking the lever as part of your stride, unlike the smaller ones where you pump it up when you fill it, then give it a top up when it's about half empty and the pressure has dropped as the air expands to fill the space vacated by the liquid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Damn. In which case, I are an eejit.

Reply to
Huge

You're never too old to need what the old Head of Physics at my school used to call "the tiny steps for teeny tots version" :)

Reply to
Robin

LOL.

Reply to
Huge

No. There is and air bell within the pack that is pressurised. The external bit is just the (atmospheric pressure) chemical tank. It can be opened at any time.

Reply to
harry

Well that's sort of how they work! You do need to pump most of the time to get the expected ('standard') flow rate. You don't need to pump like crazy the whole time but you do pump steadily and continuously.

Reply to
Chris Green

Damn. Oh, well.

Reply to
Huge

Found the link. Not sure how the product works.

Capitol

Years ago I bought a tow behind bowser with an electric spray attachment for a Westwood ride-on. A complete waste of money as were most of their accessories.

I often wondered about using a submersibe bilge pump as the driving force but then I'd have to incorporate a 12v battery. Life is too short. Full blown back pack electric sprayers are available at a price

fred