Paint.

Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood.

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux, etc. Are they worth it?

Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But then I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I normally use Wilco oil based or Johnsons oil based.

Reply to
Capitol

I used some Bedec Extra-Flex masonry paint about 18 months ago and was quite impressed. We have a number of fine cracks in the walls which invariable re-appear quite quickly through normal masonry paint but so far there's no sign of them re-appearing.

My only criticism is that although described as matt finish it has a slightly shiny finish which some might not like.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Here is something I posted here 4 years ago. I realise it was matt, but might be relevant. The paint is good as new after 4 years on the pipes.

"My son has bought new primed cast iron drain pipes to replace the 120yo ones that have rusted away. He wanted to match the original paint, which was a sort of matt white. I went to a local supplier who provided 5L "Johnstone's flat oil-based brilliant white".

Son painted 2 coats in his garage and said the paint seemed excellent, and I admired the results when I visited.

Then on Monday he finally read what it said on the tin and sent me an email expressing, shall we say, dismay. The tin and the datasheet say

"A solvent-borne, traditional matt finish formulated for interior use. Based on an alkyd resin it provides excellent obliteration and flow characteristics and produces a smooth even finish with excellent durability".

I rang and spoke to the Johntone's technical support desk, who said the formulation was exactly what they would use for an exterior paint, and the reason it said "Interior" was that getting it independently certified for "Exterior" was a long and expensive process, so hadn't be done for this paint. I then asked about yellowing and they said that yellowing would only take place in low light conditions indoors eg on skirting boards and that the paint would be fine used externally in natural UV light.

So we have a paint sold as interior that is better as an exterior paint.

I blame the EU."

Reply to
Bill

An architect friend (who is both a designer and a self builder/renovator) swears by Bedec paints. I feel he is a bit "green round the edges" and possibly favours water based paints and it is possible that within the class of water based paint, Bedec is probably superior. Whether it is better than a good oil based paint on well prepared timber might be debatable.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

So, what is the best interior white gloss and emulsion paint to avoid yellowing?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Ah you need the patented process of dipping. First mask off where you don't want paint, then turn house upside down and dip in a nylon coating solution. Turn house right way up and leave to dry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wouldn't mind knowing - I painted some skirting with Dulux 'Once' and it's distinctly off-white now. Same with their trade emulsion (or maybe that was Crown - can't remember).

Reply to
RJH