White gloss paint

Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow quickly but are all brands the same?

What should I get?

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

All white gloss paint yellows with age.

Reply to
George

forgot to say...

if you white to stay white use...car paint ie cellulose

Reply to
George

Good rule of thumb with paint - the more you pay the better it is, Stick to Dulux or Crown, avoid own label brands.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most will use the same pigment - titanium oxide IIRC - but the covering power varies enormously, roughly proportionately to the price.

I only ever use Dulux, or for special paints International Paint or Hammerite

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

All whites yellow over time. Brilliant white is better than flake white, cremnitz white etc in this respect. Leyland white gloss is good stuff too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Except water based acrylics

Brilliant white is better than flake

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But some faster than others: there was a very enlightening exchange in here a few days ago (forgotten the thread!) where it was explained that oil-based yellow faster than water based, and that Pure Brilliant White will deteriorate quickly if it never sees the light of day, because it's designed to thrive on ultraviolet light - !

(which is probably the reason for the origin of this thread)

Reply to
jal

It's not that complicated. It's the resin that yellows, not the pigment. The acrylics don't yellow at all, but they have no resistance to wear and tear.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I am after recommendations for white gloss for radiator pipes. Very many years ago (too many to be representative of anything you would buy today), I did some in Dulux and some in Crown, and the Crown went yellow in a few months.

Also, I've got some copper pipes which I would like to polish up. What would be a good laqueur to maintain the fresh copper look?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes it was. However, I didn't have time to look around to find some trade paint and all that Focus had was PBW (in various brands) Ended up buying Crown PBW liquid gloss.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Rustin's is hard to beat.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Hear, hear.

I no longer buy Focus own brand anything, since IME it's all crap.

Reply to
Huge

Have you considered pipe covers? That's what I use now. All the sheds sell them.

Reply to
Huge

Matches their shop assistants for the most part.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh well, this morning Dulux (ICI) announced it's being bought by Crown (Akzo Nobel).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel