Paint brand recommendation?

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance. I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports years ago.

Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would hardly be applicable after all these years.

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking? Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites, I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Open the phone book and find a store that sells either Devoe, or Martin-Senour ProLine paints. In this newsgroup, you'll read where some people had good experiences with the more popular brands, like Sherwin-Williams, and others had less than satisfactory results. But, you will never hear complaints about the two brands I mentioned.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install. Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the trim inside.

What "blocking"?

-- Oren

Oren

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Thanks very much. I see I will have to make a drive for either of those brands, but not too bad.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I apologize. These are "yesterday".

-- Oren

Oren

"Oren" wrote

Ahhh, they haven't even finished the install and I'm out of warranty! Actually, it says if you can't get to it right away, essentially don't let it get wet.

I stole the following definition from some website. If I had to describe it, it's that some paints stay tackier than others. Like when you open a door and you can hear the paint sticking.

The ability of a material to resist sticking due to one or more of the effects of temperature, pressure or relative humidity.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Here's a simple rule: Look at what the paint manufacturer says is the number of hours to wait before recoating. Multiply that by 3, even under ideal conditions. The recommendations are fantasies. Same for total cure time. This is why the best way to paint doors and windows is to remove them, replace with something temporary (like sheets of plywood cut to size), and paint them indoors where you can control the temperature.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Given my options with new interior wood (windows) I would maybe stain with a light color too help seal the wood and perhaps paint later.

-- Oren

Oren

"Oren" wrote

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.

Thanks. nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Whattya mean, "kicking around finding"? Use whatever's around the house from some previous project?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Heh. That I could actually do, but I mean finding primer paint at a local store. I would like to be able to keep my windows open during the upcoming week without worrying about rain.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Explain; "the parts that might get wet".

-- Oren

Oren

Blocking refers to how "sticky" a paint is, especially in humid weather. I assume they don't want their door to get stuck to the weatherstripping.

For interior enamel, I almost always use an oil-base, like Ben Moore's Satin Impervo. Put a Zinsser "BIN" primer underneath, and you won't have a problem.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Forgot to include that with oil-base, blocking is not an issue.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

"Buck Turgidson" wrote

Thanks! I'll be starting with the Zinsser.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"Oren" wrote

What would get wet if I left the window open and it starts to rain.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

As somebody else on this thread said, use an oil base paint rather than a latex and you should not have any blocking problems.

That's why oil base is recommended for shelving-things won't stick to the shelves.

Reply to
Karl S

All of the door manufacturers own spy satellites that they use to see if their doors have been painted within X number of hours/days. That's how they know if the warranty has been voided.

Reply to
Karl S

True, but it is getting harder to find oil based. I read that it is no longer sold in California.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nancy, it sounds like this project wasn't coordinated correctly. Can you take a little time off from work and go get the right paint sooner than Saturday?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom