Does anybody have a recommendation for a paint sprayer?

I am thinking about purchasing a paint sprayer but not necessarily to spray lacquer on furniture. I am looking to use it to do things like sealing my deck or painting my shutters or even painting the inside of my house. I have often thought about this whenever I seal my deck but after this year, I am sick of squatting and using a brush to seal all of those dam* stiles. Recently, I was over a friend's house who was getting the entire inside of his house painted and the guys he hired used an airless gun and they were done so fast that it made your head spin.

Now I am not stupid and know that I will probably NEVER get good enough not to tape like those guys did (I still don't know how the heck they did that) but, WOW!! Painting is the one chore that I hate over and above any other, especially the cleaning up afterward. The sprayer those guys had hooked up to an outside hose and they circulated the water using a five-gallon bucket and the entire thing was cleaned in less than ten minutes. Incredible.

There is no way that I need the size of machine those guys had but then I won't be painting every day with the thing: I only need to use it several times a year.

The wife is constantly complaining that she wants rooms painted and I always push it off until divorce is almost imminent. Then I do it with a chip on my shoulder and life ain't so fun for a while. But that thing make painting seem almost fun...almost. I know there will be a learning curve and I will need to practice on things like the garage or storage room before I ever attempt to use it in the living room but I am willing to try!

Any suggestions? People are telling me to look at Graco.

Reply to
busbus

[...]

I've got an SprayTech airless myself. Sorry. Don't recall the model, but I bought it as a factory rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks. Its actually the second one I've used, but the first one I have owned. A friend let me borrow one he has first. His is a small Wagner and it seems to put the paint on a little heavy. I know to do the same type jobs it used about a third more paint for two quick coats than mine, but its less expensive and it works pretty well.

The one I have fits into a five gallon bucket. You pour the paint into a top mounted tub on the Wagner.

Mine is a SprayTech. I think it is a little faster and to do a good job it uses less paint. I think it only cost about $100 more than the Wagner.

Both leave a good finish and are relatively easy to use, but for small jobs the setup and clean up time might offset the time save in painting. You do have to clean it thoroughly, and you should pump it full of separating oil when you are done cleaning.

As far as taping... they make these great dispenser for that. A roll of masking tape on the end with a roll of paper in the middle. For floors an electrician I know showed me to use roofing felt or rolled moisture barrier and tape it down. He did that when he built his house to save work on floor clean up at all stages. He papered the floors before they started hanging drywall, and didn't take it up until they were ready to lay the flooring. Its cheap and you can cover the entire floor quickly. When done, just wad or roll it towards the middle and throw it in the dumpster.

Back when I worked in the tool store, the professional painters all came in for Graco machines, Graco Guns, and Graco tips. Most refused to buy Wagner, not because their higher end machines were bad, but because Wagner had starting marketing their products to consumers. I never heard of SprayTech back then, but I like my SprayTech sprayer.

P.S. The friend who loaned me the little Wagner owns a paint store, and his unit has seen some use.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My opinion and information is here in last year's thread:

nailshooter41

Thanks, Robert!

I was thinking Graco and not just because that is what I saw in use. It seems to be the standard out there. Now I need to see if I want to spend the money on the X5 or the X7...

busbus

Reply to
Megan Kinzler

"WE DOAN NEED NO STEENGKIN' PREVIEWS!" he gently urged.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Damn, Larry. If I gave you a gold brick, you would complain it was too heavy.

I leave the preview feature on because it was pointed out to me on two other venues I participate in that it was dicey to some to click on a link that sends them to the great unknown.

Less computer savvy folks run their computers without the proper prophylactics that they didn't know they were entering sites that installed malware of all kinds. The folks posting the links didn't know they were linking to infected sites.

If you have ever had to reformat your drive(s) because you had a particularly nasty bid of invasive software on your machine, you tend to be verrrry careful.

With tinyurl and their ilk being blamed for a lot of that because you didn't know where you were going because the compressed url didn't give a clue, they decided to add the preview as a feature.

Truthfully, you are the only one that has complained.

I am no longer sending you a gold brick.

Really, it was ready to go.... ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Why didn't you just post the direct link without using "TinyURL.com"? I hate "TinyURL" for the exact reasons you've stated.

Reply to
Nova

For those who don't know, there is a simple way to post even extremely long URLs in a usenet post or in an email to keep them from being broken by line-breaks

just put a < at the begininning and a > at the end. No spaces, either.

example:

Reply to
salty

NICE!

Reply to
Robatoy

Last time I looked that is what the "preview feature", which he thoughtfully included, is specifically designed to preclude.

Reply to
Swingman

No, I'd make you carry it to my bank for me, silly.

Then "some" shouldn't click on links. The rest of us know you, know better, and don't appreciate the hassle. AAMOF, several probably saw the Preview in the link and didn't click as a result.

And I'm saying that I don't like it and that, probably, the majority of us find it a real bother. Do as you like, though.

No, there are at least two of us, and that means there are 200 waiting in the wings to complain.

I believe you, you goldbricker. ;) I'll be very cautious of flaming paper sacks left on my doorstep at night, too.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Robatoy

Robert,

If it makes you feel any better, I really appreciated the link. There was a lot of useful information in that thread and I am glad you gave it--in ANY form.

I think I remember that from last year but I only paid half attention to it because I wasn't even thinking airless sprayer last year. But every year that these knees and back get older, the more I think of things like that.

Thanks for the information. Good luck with the onslaught but I think you have handled it here before!

busbus

Reply to
busbus

Megan Kinzler wrote: : On Sep 14, 12:30 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" : wrote: :> My opinion and information is here in last year's thread: :>

:>

:> Robert

: Thanks, Robert!

: I was thinking Graco and not just because that is what I saw in use. : It seems to be the standard out there. Now I need to see if I want to : spend the money on the X5 or the X7...

I have the X5, and have painted both the inside and the outside of a house with it. Great machine.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Well, I was going to leave this alone, but I can't. I look at this group and the incredible amount of political vomit that is spewed across the screens of those looking to learn or share something about woodwork.

I glance through the posts that the regulars here upload that are disrespectful, intolerant, and in some cases profane when they get out of hand.

Yet, you decide to pick at a post that wasn't aimed at you, on a thread you decided to read that actually contained content related to this group's charter.

While you complain about my posting style wasting your time, think of the time you have wasted simply quoting, critiquing, commenting to that post. You haven't posted anything to contribute an answer to the OP's question, but have posted 4 different responses to tell me how you would like for me to post my replies.

I know you are a construction guy as well, so I will put it in our vernacular: "Who died and made you boss?"

I was concerned about the loss of time you and Jack felt like you had expended when having to double click (OK... maybe not... ) so I decided to see just how long it took to click twice to see where I sent people via a compressed link with preview.

In five tries, it took me an average of 2.3 seconds according to my chronometer. Personally, I thought it took a bit longer than that, but time trials really brought home how ludicrous this bitching has become. I am not an important guy, but I do have 2.3 seconds (knowing at any time it could stretch to 3!) to click on something that was directly related to my question.

Following your logic of the irritation at "the extra step", I figure this: You posted your dissenting opinion and critique four different times; at an average of 8 minutes a post, that yielded 1920 seconds to complain. That means that you could click on 768 compressed urls with previews in the time it took you to complain! Crap... talk about wasting time!

I can assure you that you will waste more of your own time than I ever will around here. After all, I don't make you read, click on, or participate in any part of any thread.

In that light, I also recall the fact it would take me many more seconds, perhaps many minutes to find exactly what I was looking for to answer my questions if I was an average Joe unsure of the location of a valid answer. Since this is a public forum populated by many professionals and talented craftsmen, I keep in mind that the general public has unique access to talents and experiences if both sides decide to participate.

When I am at work, I do not socialize. I do not teach. I don't have the time and frankly don't give a crap about someone that wanders up to ask me a question on procedure or materials.

However,over the years folks in this venue have warmly received my efforts, regardless of posting style, and some have been very kind in their responses, and we have even been in touch offline, and even talked in person. I don't mind helping anyone that will try; and they don't mind how I get the information to them.

I don't bullshit about what I know, and realize that many here know a great deal more than I do about certain aspects of the group charter. I don't care how they post, their grammar usage, their poor spelling, or typos as long as I get the info.

That's why we are here, right? To share information about woodworking?

So in consideration, an additional FIVE (spotted you more than double my experience) seconds wouldn't be much of a hassle for me to have access to actual professionals.

In summary, so many people were having problems with their browsers reading extra long urls, that the compressed url was born.

Round two: tinyurl with previews was born because so many folks were convinced that they were going into the great unknown regions of the internet with no say so if they clicked a link they didn't recognize. So much so that tinyurl responded by taking the time, spending them money, and modifying their software to accommodate those that got screwed before, or were uneasy about clicking on a blind link.

In fact, there was a thread (a year ago?) where there was a lot of chest pounding and sanctimonious prattle espoused ABOUT the dangers of clicking on a compressed url.

So take your pick which side of the fence you are on. While not trying to be too offensive, you can rest assured I won't change anything I do just to please you. I don't mean that in an aggressive political thread way I see here, but I just won't.

And again, if my posting style doesn't suit your personal tastes, just don't read anything I post. I don't know how it could get easier than that. Or if there is a compressed url, don't click on it.

Hmmmmm..... ten minutes? 2.3 seconds is hardly that.

Besides, you need to remember what the membership to this forum costs. Think about what you pay for an exact answer to a specific question. And remember that you don't even have to participate here to get your questions answered.

Seems to me that qualified answers under those parameters is quite a bargain, regardless of the delivery system.

OK, one more time so that I am not being obtuse. Don't waste any of your time clicking on my posts, and you won't be harmed or impugned in any way, nor will you be out the extra seconds you would be losing to click on one of the compressed urls I post about once a month. (lesseee..... 2.3 seconds, X 12 months... almost 30 seconds a year). As for the "There's free and there's free" crack about advice one can receive in just over two seconds, please remember EXACTLY what the people in this group pay for it.

As far as how I am received, that made me chuckle. I was never the popular guy in school, BMOC, nor did I ever win a popularity contest. I was me, and that was all.

So how much concern do you really think I have here about folks that for the most part I will never meet, never talk to off group, and will never even hear from again when I post an answer?

While I would prefer that people don't think of me as a total ass, for the most part I simply don't care "how I am received" here, or anywhere else. If you are thinking any sense of importance I might have to this group, you misread me. I am not egotistical enough to think that my words will go any farther than Google will archive them. When they quit archiving and hosting these old newsgroups, all the information, all the posts, and all the insights, tips, tricks, and all the other parts and pieces will be scattered like leaves in the wind. No one will remember either of us.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

: Any suggestions? People are telling me to look at Graco.

To expand on my other comment: Graco is excellent. I bought one some years ago to paint the interior of a guesthouse (a smaller house we have on our property). There's not much of a learning curve - I practiced for a few minutes on a large sheet of cardboard, and then went at it. The main thing is getting the speed of how fast you move the gun right (I also recommnd the extender wand, both for ceilings and for being able to paint a larger area with less body movement). Last year Idid the outside of the same house.

You will need to (a) tape off things well, and (b) wear a respirator if you're doing it inside without a lot of airflow to outside. I also recommend a lightweight Tyvek suit (around $10 from a medical and safety supply store). But I could prime a largish room in something like ten minutes. it goes remarkably fast once you're set up.

Follow the instructions for cleaning exactly, and you'll get years of use from one. The small unit the X5, I think) is more than adequate for residential use.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Shame on you. You know that's simply not DONE here. (that was a joke)

Nobody. I simply gave you my opinion + 3 clarifications. They're for you to react to or ignore as you see fit, mon.

I believe I -joked- about it taking an extra second. Do you think that, just perhaps, you might be overreacting to that?

I also explained that you were the second person to do that and I'm not the ony person it irritated. I pointed out that it was an irritant and wanted to mention it so folks here know there are people who aren't fond of it.

Humor is lost on you. Noted. Shit, Robert, I go out of my way to look things up for people, to give a source for items I've found valuable in working wood, perhaps up to half an hour's worth. Forget the time thing. That was humor regarding a nit I was picking with your choice of compression formats.

OK.

You really do have an obsession about time today, don't you? Metaphors be with you.

Ciao!

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques