Clay rest-bend cracked. Repair or replace?

Have a look at this photo of my waste stack at the point where it joins the clay rest bend:

Two questions:

  1. The clay rest bend is cracked. The bit between 3 and 6 on the clock if y ou looked at it from above is a bit loose so it's abviously cracked to belo w ground level a bit. It's been like this for years without any obvious pro blems and I'm wondering if I should just fill the clay collar with fresh mo rtar to make the plastic pipe water tight again. Or do you think I should r eplace the rest bend (doable but I'm not keen)?

  1. What's that ridged part of the plastic pipe called? If it's a fitting ca n you link to one on screwfix or similar so I can see it please? I can't ev en tell if it's part of the pipe or a separate fitting. I assume the ridges are to make sure it beds well in the mortar.

Reply to
me

Photobucket simply doesn't work for me

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try this:

me

I would either fill it with a 3:1 cement mix and forget it, or bite the bullet and dig the lot out and rejoin the clay pipe at a suitable point beyond the crack. Depends on how much work you want to do.

Reply to
Capitol

If it ain't leaking Id be inclined to chop the last of the clay verticals away make a mould out of some plastic or wood sheet and cast a lovely concrete collar.

2:1 plus shingle mebbee
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. Any idea what the ridged part of the plastic pipe is? It looks like it's part of the pipe but might be a fitting. I can't find any pipe being sold with those ridges on it but this is old pipe. I can see the point of i t is to anchor it in the mortar (I think) but there must be a modern versio n.

Reply to
me

The modern version has rubber ridges for want of a better description. I guess the plastic ridges are to firstly hold the plastic in place in the clay pipe and secondly to anchor it into the mortar.

Reply to
Capitol

+1 no question. Trim with angle grinder rather than bolster!
Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , me escribió:

I'm wondering if that is a bodge using a flexible toilet pan coupler. The ridged part is the flexy bit, maybe?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I wondered that, but under the grey and black paint the actual plastic looks like orange/brown so it must be a proper underground fitting. Maybe one intended for connecting to cast iron ?.

The big question is why is the collar of the old glazed pipe so large ?. Normal foul drainage is about 4 inch, so the collar would be about 5 inches. This looks more like the collar of a 6 inch pipe.

Can the photo be re-taken with an inch ruler laid across the collar so we can see the actual diameter ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The ridged part is something like this, which is what I'll be using on the new pipe:

As for the size of the clay collar, this is some sort of bodge by whoever i nstalled it because it goes directly to a manhole which is barely under sur face level. So it can't be a proper rest bend,the depth is much much too sh allow. It certainly won't pass any modern regs. But it's caused no problem in the last ten years so I'm going to repair as best I can and leave it at that. The plastic pipe, by the way, is a standard 110mm grey one which has been painted over black!

Reply to
me