cutting glass

Hello,

I had a couple of cupboards from Ikea that had glass doors. The cupboards are long gone but I have found the doors during a spring clean of my garage! They are too big to fit in the wheely bin but cut in half they might fit. They are just a pane of glass with no metal or wood or other substance attached. Smaller than 4' x 2'

Is it possible to cut them? I cannot see anything on the glass to say that it is safety glass but I imagine they would not have sold it with "normal" glass. Will it just shatter if I attempt to score and snap? Is it better to take them in one piece to the tip? I was hoping to avoid a journey but if that's what it takes, I will do it.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

gloves goggles and a half brick or club hammer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Used glass tends to shatter but not always. Ofer them free on freecycle/freegle/facebook etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That would certainly work! I was wondering if there was a less mess way of doing it though?

Reply to
Stephen

put them all in a tough bag first?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got rid of the safety glass from four doors this way. Dust sheet under them first, then just pour the bits of glass into the wheely bin.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Beware, assuming it is *not* toughened bits will come through quite substantial wrapping. DAMHIK.

Reply to
newshound

Thank you everyone. That has saved me a trip to the tip. I should add, the doors were tinted, so I could not have recycled them. AFAIK the tip only has facilities to collect glass bottles and jars so I think any other glass to big to get through the circular opening in the bottle banks gets thrown away.

I did put the door inside a black bag to contain the glass. Perhaps considering your warning, it would be best to put the object inside two bags: one inside the other if the type of glass is unknown?

It was safety glass, which I thought it would be as it was on a cupboard but I also thought that safety glass had a mark on it to say so, or is that just windows and perhaps a more recent thing?

Thanks Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen