Gas meter supports/ fixings

Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the meter from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2" clear of the cabinet base.

I thought I read something about the regulations required it to be properly supported, including a (second) bracket to support it at the bottom?

Thing is, our latest energy supplier cannot access the OVO smart gas meter remotely, so they have agreed with me to fit a replacement which they can work with. I might as well make sure it is properly installed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've had three meters in this place over the years, all simply supported by the unions, the latest one has a tamper evident plastic seal fitted.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Supported on the unions seems to be the "normal" way these days. (the bracket is strong and the meter not that heavy, so it does not seem to be a problem in reality)

Reply to
John Rumm

Supporting by the unions is mechanically the same as supporting by the spigots of the case - and they're more than tough enough.

Did once come across a meter supported by nothing but the pipework (behind a cupboard; kitchen renovation) so got the owner to phone up the gas people to sort. They weren't particularly fussed, neither was the guy made to come out and put the bracket up.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks All, I will not bother to mention it when the installer calls.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield