Gas meter not at rear of property?

There seems to be some arbitrary rule that a gas meter can't be at the rear of a property or further than 2m from the front.

Why?

Our electricity meter is at the rear of the bungalow. We need to move the damned gas meter, which is on the side wall, when the extension is built. Why can't I put it round the back where the kitchen, etc, is and near to where all the gas appliances are?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Yep, I read that too when I was enquiring about having gas installed. I wanted the meter at the back of the property. I filled in the forms and marked the route on the plan so the supply enterred the house at the rear of the house. As it happens the surveyor who came out agreed that it was the best place to put it so it wasnt a problem for us. That said though, in our case the most direct route from the existing mains was to the rear of the property.

Reply to
kdband

Presumably to make it straightforward for the meter reader to locate - when they arrive at the property they can see it readily from the front

- the whole point is to avoid them having to knock on the door asking to read it.

There would also be a risk of the meter ending up invisible and inaccessible behind a locked gate.

David

Reply to
Lobster

And yet in my case, they readily agreed to locating the meter inside the house close to where the electric meter is already fitted. Have they actually refused to put it where you want? If not then I'd suggest you just fill in the forms to indicate where you want the meter fitted and then discuss it with the surveyor when he inspects the site.

Reply to
kdband

I've looked at the on-line system for applying for an alteration, and it seems to be based on the idea that you submt payment details, therefore "accepting the quotation" and only then do you get any contact from them.. If you fill in the on-line forms and get the quotation figure but don't submti payment details, I can't see anything that suggests that National Grid will actually do anything other than save the quote for further reference (valid for 45 days).

It's all a bit crappy. I just want to talk to a human and get someone round to tell me what can and can't be done!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

From National Grid, an email reply which clearly states that they

*cannot* do this by regulation. However, it does not say "unless the existing mains are to the rear of the property" which it would have to say in order to justify what you write above.

Good Afternoon Mr Kilpatrick,

Due to regulations National Grid are not able to place any new meter positions towards, or at the rear of the property due to easy access, and the laying of the pipe work itself

Additionally National Grid offers no discount for pre-dug trench work; this work is inclusive to the cost as agreed with by our watchdog Ofgem.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Regards

Matthew Musselwhite East Of England Enquiries/ Call Agent Financial Services-Shared Services: Order To Cash

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

The rule was, if possible, not to have the service pipe entering more than

2m into a property from the point of entry. Service pipe being the pipe connecting gas main to meter. The other rule was to keep the service pipe as short as possible. The logic being that a shorter pipe has less risk of damage and subequent release of uncontrolled gas, than a longer one.

I'm not sure if this is merely a 'Code of Practice'. A rake through 'The Gas Act' will provide a definitive answer. Here's a start on meters:

haven't read it! A gargle on: the gas act will throw up loads of links.

mark

Reply to
mark

Phone National Grid on 0870 903 9999 and ask them to send an application form because you need a site survey. You might have to tell them that you don't have internet access.

They should send you a form and a copy of their step by step guide. Page 4 of the guide explains 2 different procedures depending on whether you want to do your own costing yourself or have a survey done. If you need a survey they describe the following steps:

"1) If you can?t do your own costing, fill out the application form (excluding Section 12) and return to us 2) We decide what else we need to know 3) We either contact you, send a quote or arrange a site survey 4) We provide a quote and you return the signed acceptance form 5) We contact you with a date for the work 6) We do the work"

BTW if a householder is requesting a meter to be moved either to meet the needs of a disabled person, or so that someone who is chronically sick or of pensionable age can operate the main shut-off valve and/or read the meter then they may qualify to have the work done without charge.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I've just had a quick look on the national grid website, the process has changed in the few months since I applied for my new connection. There was no option at that time to fill in the application online, it was all done by post. And there was most definitely a discount at that time for pre-digging the trench myself. In my case I had almost

40Metres to dig and the cost was considerably cheaper doing it myself. The other factor is that my house is detached and it would make no difference to the meter reader whether the meter was at the front or the back, but it made installation much easier as we didn't need to cross any drains etc.

None of this helps you of course, but what I will say is that at some point a surveyor will have to come out to asses the work that needs doing. At that time you'll get to speak to somebody who hopefully can use a bit of common sense to decide whether what you want is practical/ allowable or not.

Reply to
kdband

Ours is behind two locked doors. What risk does that pose? I do have the brains to check and correct, if neccessary, any estimated readings.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

[...]

A new supply is treated much differently to an alteration. Yes you get a considerable discount by providing a pre-excavated trench over the private part. Alterations are discouraged by the pricing policy as they don't add to the profit line

The reason goes something like this:- The gas transporter, National Grid has its profits capped at 7.5% of its asset value. Its assets are mains and services. A new service (supply) adds to the asset value. An alteration does not add to the asset value.

mark

Reply to
mark