Noisy gas meter

Greetings,

I am completing a basement conversion. I have a compact, silent, electronic electric meter down there, but the gas meter is one of the chunky mechanical types (manufacturer "Schlumberger"). The problem is that it can be rather noisy, giving off a high-pitched whine sound when gas is being used and making a knocking sound, presumably as the meter turns.

My question is whether this is serviceable or whether the only way to eliminate such a noise would be to replace the gas meter. It states on the meter that it is the "Property of Transco".

I assume that neither is an acceptable DIY job, given the nature of working with gas and my inexperience in such matters.

That being the case, who would I contact about either route (if applicable)?

TIA.

Reply to
JustMe

I'm not sure, but I believe tampering with gas meters may bo some sort of offence.

Perhaps try contacting Transco, seeing as it's their property and responsibility.

Reply to
RedOnRed

But don't expect the replacement to be any quieter - ours wasn't :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Replace the meter governor. Tip me hat to you ;-)

Reply to
end user

Read the gas fitting FAQ. You may well find that a noisy gas meter is one that is about to fail. If the meter is in poor order it may have quite noticable periodic variations of outlet pressure when the boiler is on. If the pressure is out seriously out of spec then Transco can be called to replace the unit.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Replacing the meter is not a DIY job as obtaining a new gas meter may be tricky to other than Transco. Also the meter number of old and new meters needs to be logged and put into 'the system'. Ours was changed 2 years ago when we moved into our place and the digital display on the old one was unreadable (crazed plastic on the display). Transco were around within 45 minutes and changed the meter within 15. The new meter already had a non-zero reading on it, so that was logged and passed onto our supplier and our bills carried on without any problem. Doing it yourself would cause a problem with the first meter reading.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

applicable)?

Phone Transco, I had a new meter within 2 hours, and then another and then they decided that the pipe needed pumping out. It was the pumping that cured the noise problem, apparantly they introduce a small amount of oil into the system to keep there valves etc lubed, this can collect in certain areas ( my pipe ) and give the same symptoms as you have. Took 3 months, 4 visits, 2 meters and a big compressor but they got there in the end.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Schlum. U6 I assume? I used to work for them way back when although they are now called Actaris I think.

It's not serviceable and almost certainly illegal to try anything like that.

In any case ... you won't be able to "tinker" internally without removing the pressed steel banding around the centre of the meter, and then you would not be able to reseal etc (without a "banding machine" - not DIY!). Also, taking off the index will do you no good and just look like tampering.

FYI: the meter has a mechanical set of diaphragms which use differential pressure to rotate the index. It seems the mechanism is making a sound, probably a resonant effect ... just like the one at my house!

They don't cost all that much IIRC (around £20) but Transco would have to do the work which would be the larger cost and then you may get a meter with the same issue.

If you can persuade them to fit an E6 (electronic/ultrasonic) then there are no moving parts. I think that they don't bother with these any more though on cost/quality grounds so this might be tricky.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I work for them - meter bellows are seized and linkages squeek - henc

high pitch. Only ring Transco on 0800 111 999 if you can smell gas. Since july 12th last year your gas supplier must give transco th approval to change a gas meter. - its called metering separation. You may be able to have it changed by ringing us direct as having i reported as a "check for safety" but if your gas supplier does not hav a metering contract in place we cant change it. Ring your supplier 1st - unless you can smell gas obviousl

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss

i wonder where you work in Tranco? email me snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

ta

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

what for? I aint moving the service for ya

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was confident that it wasn't a DIY job, but your advice has been very useful and I now know what my next step should be. I wonder which Powergen number to use...what an awful lot of them there are :o) Cheers.

Reply to
JustMe

You should try pinpointing an appropriate number for Yorkshire Water :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher