Gas Meter Repositioning

Can anyone tell me who to contact if you wish to have the Gas Meter RElocated together with the Electric MEter? as well as wether they can be positioned off the boundary?

Sidney

Reply to
SidKnee

No idea who does this nowadays, but when I had mine moved some years ago, "they" failed to put back the sealing washer (O-ring ?)between meter and pipe. Fortunately, they left it around and when the smell of gas was still with us a few days later, I was able to fit it and the smell disappeared quite quickly. Silly me - I thought that they had fitted a new one, and that the continuing smell was the remains of the stenching additive.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Well... as far as the electricity side goes, the industry has been forced to split into 3 seperate components - and they can`t talk to each other because the government say its anti-competitive...

You have:

1) the supplier (who you pay your bill to - and is *only* interested in the meter reading)

2) the meter operator (who only fits meters, but in some cases you can sometimes get them to fit an isolator)

3) the "network" operator, who is responsible for the cable in the ground, up to and including the cable head (sometimes known as a cutout). This will be the old REC* for the area in which you live.

  • just to throw a spanner in the works, there are also Independant Distribution Network Operators (IDNOs) with an "embedded" network within the old REC area for which they retain ownership. What that means, is if there`s a cable fault on the embedded network, the REC will politely tell any customers who have gone off supply** to f*** off, as they`re not allowed to work on that part of the network - you`d have to trace whoever installed it to begin with... This scenario is still quite rare, so the odds are this will *not* apply to you, although if it did, I guess you`d have to approach the owner of this embedded network... :-}

** god only knows whether this would count against the RECs CML targets (customer minutes lost) as essentially the rest of the network is on, and its a fault on the customers' side (the IDNO) that caused you to go off supply

In your case, you can probably go direct to (3) to arrange for a quote, but some companies insist that the request has to come from (1).

I`m not sure what you mean about positioned off the boundary, but if you mean in a terraced house, it isn`t always practical or possible, as under normal circumstances (IME) you have the point of supply (the cutout) as close to the boundary as possible. There may be regulations on this, but they escape me at present, but probably come under the supply regulations rather than the 16th edition (or whatever its called now) :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You could start with Transco: they'll be the ones who actually do the move, though you'll probably actually have to pay your local supplier.

Reply to
John Stumbles

"Colin Wilson" wrote >> Can anyone tell me who to contact if you wish to have the Gas Meter

What is an isolator? What are the advantages of fitting one of these?

Icontacted British Gas who asked me to call Transco Alter Meter, the tel no is 08456056677.

I have a detached property and so wanted the meter near the boudary entrance if possible?

Reply to
SidKnee

"John Stumbles" wrote> though you'll probably actually have to pay your local supplier.

Contacted Transco Alter Meter, but cannot give a cost indication until a someone visits site?! and cannot give time only date to visit?

Sidney

Reply to
SidKnee

Oh, trust me, you'll really need to do this project *badly* if you're going to make it happen. Pain, huge expense, inconvenience, hassle all the way.

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote>> Contacted Transco Alter Meter, but cannot give a cost indication until a

Well.. If there is another way to have it done ... I would look at it? Is there?

Reply to
SidKnee

Having what done, moving the meter? It's the moving of the meter which is going to cause you grief, however you do it and whoever does it. Half the battle will probably be finding out who is actually empowered to do the work, and getting them to agree that yes, they are the appropriate body to do so. You could probably phone CORGI 5 times to ask them, and get a different answer each time. Try it! (I have).

I'm afraid anything to with installing/moving/replacing electric/gas/water meters in the wonderful deregulated world we live in is now a total nightmare, and ends up with me bashing my head against a wall every time I have to do it...

Good luck David

Reply to
Lobster

A straight forward on/off electrical switch, with (typically) a 100A rating. They`re fitted to allow the consumer to isolate their own side of the installation without having to break seals on the cutout and pull the fuse to make their side of the installation safe to work on.

Sure - you`ll probably need to build a small brick built cubicle, and then lay your own sub-main cable to your property. It`ll also cost.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , SidKnee writes

No. The point was really why do you feel the need to do this. It will require some effort, and a fair bit of expense.

As well as the actual costs charged by the co's for moving the meters, you will have to construct some sort of enclosure. You will need to extend your gas pipe I imagine, you will need to lay in electrical submain from the meter to the house , with all the digging of trenches etc.

Doesn't sound cheap (as in some 1000's), you must have good reason.

Reply to
chris French

Off the top of my head (aka from personal experience), the OP will=20 probably be looking at a cost of about =A3350 for the service alteration,= =20 but as you point out, this excludes the cost of the new enclosure and any= =20 sub-main required. This relates to the electric side, obviously.

All work on-site is typically down to the consumer to arrange at their=20 cost. The only excavation work done by the supplier will be in public=20 footpath.

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson

Ring Transco - request a "service alteration pack"

its hard to work out i know (i work for them) as each part of th service move is worked out on a points scale. If the service does NOT need moving - for example meter needs moving meter or so etc - ring your gas supplie

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss

"Transco_Boo_Hiss" wrote > If the service does NOT need moving - for example meter needs moving a

Thanks Transco BooHiss,

My supplier is British Gas, What is the best number as they keep asking me to cal ltransco?

Sidkney

Reply to
SidKnee

The whole industry has changed..... you need to go through your ga supplier. visit

and go to "contact Transco" for the Q&A's

but here is the quote from the site

"I would like my gas meter moved."

"In July 2004 gas metering in the UK became subject to competition. Fo Transco, this means that its metering services have been completel separated from its transportation activities. Due to this, it is no possible for Transco to deal with your enquiry. You should contact you gas suppliers in the first instance to raise any queries regardin metering. The telephone number of your gas supplier will be printed o your gas bill.

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss