Unsafe gas meter - any experience?

A friend has a gas meter that was moved by the previous house owner, and has been left in a potentially unsafe condition, the turn off lever is in the kitchen, and the meter the other side of the wall in the hallway, as well as the meter only being supported by the 2 pipes, with no access at all to the regulator, as it is so close to the ceiling. Amazingly, this house had a Gas Safety Certificate 12 months ago, as well as a new boiler fitted.

My gas fitter mate went to fit a new hob, but says he cannot do it,[1] and the owner needs to contact Transco to either get the meter, or the valve moved.

Has anyone any experience of what they'll do? Would they shut his supply off immediately, or fix it at the time, and send him a bill?

Or, could he explain he has only had the house a year, and hope they take pity on him, and do it free of charge?

Thanks Alan

[1] He says apart from being fitted wrongly, he cannot see how anyone can do a leak test with the valve the other side of a wall to the meter. On checking to see who fitted the boiler, there were no details entered into the install log, so he thinks it was a DIY job. We didnt get to see the GSC to see who had passed this mess.
Reply to
A.Lee

In article , A.Lee scribeth thus

Going by past experience calling Transco usually results in the gas supply being disconnected and a red label pointing out it is an offence to have a Gas supply in a less then just so condition like that.

A Gas safety cert might not cover the condition of the meter and its connecting pipes, its usually to do with the condition of the boiler etc.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I think you will find they have a standard tarrif for this kind of thing. Obviously if they feel its unsafe they will cut off the supply. Sounds like a job for a pretty young lady on the day to me.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It should cover the safety of the entire installation, including operation of the emergency control valve and checking for the presence of equipotential bonding.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I can't see why National Grid/Transco would charge him. It is their installation and they cannot prove that it has been altered by the previous owner. I've seen several Transco meter installations that were unsafe; they're tossers.

I'd imagine they'd disconnect it from the distribution pipoes and amend their pipework. He'd have to employ a Gas Safe bloke to reconnect to the meter.

Reply to
Onetap

Absolutely

Reply to
stuart noble

You cant do a GSC without doing a pressure drop test, and this one was impossible, as the valve was not in reach of the meter, so could not in any way have been tested properly.

Reply to
A.Lee

"Fred, turn the tap off"

"Thanks Fred, you can turn it back on now"

Reply to
John Williamson

I can't speak for you friend's situation but when I had a smart meter fitted recently the E.ON fitter said the meter was not up to standard in that the lever of the main valve could fall to the on position. I could have got this wrong - at no time did I understand what they were talking about.

He said he'd call Transco and they'd fix it FOC.

Having been a denizen of this group for many years, I dreaded what would come next. Two Transco men arrived, said it was more serious than the E.ON guy had said and that the stop washer at the back of the valve was broken. By now I was having kittens.

They rang somewhere and a third Transco man came from 30 miles away with a spare valve which they fitted. I was without gas for 20 minutes - it was now 10pm on Friday night. I was reconnected and they left - NO CHARGE.

They were unfailingly courteous and professional and did the job as fast as possible.

On the way out they said "The electric power cable to your garage goes through the same hole as the external gas pipe; this could lead to your gas pipes becoming live. You will get it seen to won't you sir?".

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message , js.b1 writes

There appears to be quite a conflict between BG and National Grid.

Some years back, I had a long running saga which highlights this.....

Our domestic gas is from a medium pressure main (no low pressure conveniently available). The gas meter fitted is electrical and has a battery to supply power.

About 10 years after the original installation, I began getting letters from BG saying they needed to change the meter. Various appointments were made but no new meter fitted. Eventually a senior engineer called in on his way home from work. By torch light we examined the installation and he agreed that the replacement meter could not physically fit!

I attended the next attempt when a National Grid fitter was present. He was adamant that BG should simply fit a new battery as no job number/payment had been raised to cover his work.

And that is what was done! I look forward to the 20th. anniversary when I guess it will start over:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

As a follow up to this, Transco went round today, told him what he knew already - that a DIYer had moved the meter, they then said it would cost near to a £1000 to move it back to the correct place, or make it safe, but, they didnt disconnect him.

That seems strange to me, it is either unsafe, or OK. If unsafe, they should have cut the supply off, or maybe there is a 3rd option, where they know it is not up to standard, but is no immediate danger?

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Possibly, but it wasn't your friend.

He became the owner of all the defects in the house (woodworm, subsidence, dodgy electrics, etc) when he bought it, but he didn't buy the meter installation from Transco. If they want paying, they should take it up with the previous owner(s). I hope they don't expect him to pay for their making their meter installation safe Their meter reader should have seen it on the takeover.

Reply to
Onetap

Possibly, but it wasn't your friend.

He became the owner of all the defects in the house (woodworm, subsidence, dodgy electrics, etc) when he bought it, but he didn't buy the meter installation from Transco. If they want paying, they should take it up with the previous owner(s). I hope they don't expect him to pay for their making their meter installation safe Their meter reader should have seen it on the takeover.

All he needs to do is contact a GasSafe engineer locally who will for a charge, far less than £1000 put the meter back where it should be.

I had a similar problem at my old house a few years ago. The previous occupier hjad the meter taken from the Gas box outside and put on the opposite side of the wall inside because he had a card meter installed and it saved him going outside. I contacted Transco who told me that it would cost several hundred pounds to put it back outside. I contacted the chap who serviced my boiler who said it was an easy job and would cost me £45. As long as it is done by a GaqsSafe engineer it is OK. Transco are a bloody rip off Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor