Freezer door seals

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of the door seals on freezers? I have had one stored in the garage for 6 months unused with the door slightly open. Now I have come to use it the door will not stay shut.

Does the door strip lose its magnetic properties if not against the steel case of the freezer?

As I am giving it away I don't really want to spend too much on fixing it, so any ideas welcome.

Reply to
Bill

Why? Is the hinge side sticking to the cabinet? Maybe the mating surfaces just want cleaning?

The hinges usually have some adjustment for spacing away from the door frame. Maybe yours are too close?

Also, having the door seal all around often depends on the freezer standing true with its feet adjusted properly, so the cabinet isn't jarred? I doubt if anyone did that for storage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They seem to do that. Flex the seals with your fingers. Close the door and put something heavy against it to keep it tightly closed. Take a look at it in a few days, it should be okay as far as okay goes. If not you could try adjusting the hinges .... hmm.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

It is most strange, when I moved it from the house, where it had been for quite a few years, into the garage the door closed fine but to ventilate it I left the door ajar. I have checked that it is level and the hinges do appear to be correctly set. The seal sits where it did before, slight discolouration of the metal work matches up with the seal. Just no sign of it even attempting to hold closed, the slightest pressure will move it open.

As per Mr Pounder's suggestion I have left it with the door strapped shut so will give it a couple of days and see what happens!

If no success then it gets given away with a strap!!

Reply to
Bill

Adjust the feet so it tilts back a little. Not enough to be noticeable, it does the trick.

NT

Reply to
NT