Please help! Amana freezer door won't stay shut.

This is a model with bottom freezer (model number BX22A2W). Is there some kind of adjusting screw(s) on the hinge of this thing to keep it shut? The magnet is the seal doesn't seem very strong at all. When I push it shut I will hold it shut for a few seconds; when I move it will come open. The is nothing that I can see that would be pushing it open. It almost seems like the weight of the door itself (toward the end you open) is 'sliding' (very slightly, enough to open door I mean I can't really tell the door is sitting at an angle) down the slope of the freezer. I hope that makes sense. My best guess at this point is that there is some screw somewhere that needs tightening to hold the door up properly.

ANY thoughts are appreciated as this is driving me nuts!!!

TIA

Reply to
Jack

Level the fridge. Got anything heavy in the door?

Reply to
Norminn

Level the fridge but with a very slight tilt back. Check the door gasket on the hinge side. If it is bunching up or sticky from something, it will cause the door to open back up from the springing of the rubber. Clean that side of the gasket and apply a wax like Pledge so it will slip into place when the door is closed. Like I said, if it kind of sticks as the door is closed, it will cause the door to spring back open.

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

For sure check the shelves on the door and inside the refrigerator for soemthing that may be preventing the door from closing properly and "popping" it back open. Door hinges, door stops would have to be checked to make sure nothing is loose/bent/out of place preventing the door from closing fully. There is no magic "adjusting screw" to help the door close. Each and every aspect of the door ( gasket, hinges, shelves, hinge washers/spacers ) would have to be checked and elminated as possible trouble makers. Levelling the refrigerator, usually level the refrigerator so the front is slightly higher than the back, this will help the door close.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff