Subject Author Posted Replies

GFCI Outlets Question
Hello, Have the typical Leviton GFCI dual outlets (as sold by ACE Hardware) around our house. One has the electric garage door opener plugged into it. It has recently tripped, but on pushing back in...
11
11

Driveway Seal Coating Questions ?
Hello, Had our driveway re-paved last Summer. Live outside of Boston. How "necessary", or good an idea, is it to have it "seal-coated" now ? Do most folks have it done ? If so, is the coating applied...
11
11

OT gun silencers
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come from there? And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a...
44
44

Which Door is Better
A steel or a fiberglass door? Thanks. Kate
14
14

Vinyl siding vs. mold...
Hello all - Why is it that houses with vinyl siding seem to get buildups of algae or mold on the vinyl? I don't see the problem with wood or aluminum siding. This old house I'm in (1911) still has its...
13
13

OT - Just keep backing the RV, honey!
Yes, I did that one at Lazy Days Rally Park near Tampa, FL. I keyed over him and said "Keep coming back, Honey, Keep on coming, Come on." When I un-Keyed he was SCREAMING "NO! STOP! STOP! STOP!" I...

Deck Stain Issue
While building our new home ourselves, it looks like we made an error in selecting deck stain. In spite of good success with Olympic several years earlier, we let ourselves be convinced that Sherwin...
1
1

Ideas for cleaning white scale from exterior door glass?
I've come across a circa 1965 wood door with four large glass inserts. This is an exterior entry door to a garage and the glass has what appears to be a white-ish scale on the lower exterior sides....
2
2

[Indoor] Outdoor thermometer - sensor placement location...
I live in Las Vegas, and I can't seem to find a good spot for my remote thermometer sensor. The summer is the hard one. Keeping the sensor out of direct sun, and also out of a hot spot, is difficult....
31
31

OT I hope this never catches on
Camel-Toe-Proof Panties http://gawker.com/5911525/camel-toe-advocate-invents-camel+toe+proof-panties
1
1

Neighbors from Hell
My question is where's the HOA when you need one? Eh? Eh? "...a group of people sharing a house in Berkeley, Calif., who have exasperated and intimidated their neighbors with nuisance and even...
7
7

About Fire... Is there an explanation for the flames?
Probably more off topic than on, but I was burning some twigs and rotten logs, when suddenly a question arose. Probably more of a science question. But is there really an answer? The question is this:...
16
16

Is there such a drill motor?
I recently did a few searches for a ' 3/8" capacity, 12V, hammer drill with a Lithium battery ' but keep coming up empty. Is there such an animal? TIA. Lewis *****
5
5

Cheap electric switches and outlets
Getting home rewireing done, are the cheapest grade Home Depot .59c electric switches and outlets quality. Do they last. Contractor agreed to put in mid grade but they look like HD cheap stuff, I...
42
42

Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calcium in well water? (2023 Update)
Following up on the crud on my pool walls, I called a water softener company over who arrived today to give me a $6,000 quote to put in a water softener system in my garage. model 2060 home water...
84
84