Mini Split A/C installation

You need a disconnect "in site from" the condenser

Reply to
RBM

I am installing a mini-split A/C system. Well, everything except for actually hooking up the refrigerant lines. Tomorrow I will hook up the electrical wiring. I have a question though. Can I just wire it up to a circuit breaker in my house? Or do I need to install a circuit breaker near the mini-split unit? My central A/C compressors have disconnects outside the house by them. I don't know what the code is. I can handle the wiring part but I just don't know what the codes are for those kinds of things.

Reply to
User Example

Thanks. I thought I might. Wasn't sure. How do you know? Just curious.

RBM wrote:

Reply to
User Example

It should take longer than 20 minutes to hook up lines. He should also pull a vacuum on the inside unit and lines to remove air & moisture. If the lines are long he may have to adjust charge.

So allow a little more time than that.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I see others have answered the question but I got one for you. I have considered a mini-split for a home office on second floor that I can

*just* keep cool with a portable AC. House has central air. Bad th>I am installing a mini-split A/C system. Well, everything except for
Reply to
RWS

Ebay has mini-splits with good prices. I got a 24000 BTU unit from and outfit called Bonair Depot. They are advertised for $849 but they have an option to offer a best price. I offered $750 and got it. Shipping was about $150 so around $900 total.

I am waiting for an A/C guy to connect the freon lines but everything else is ready. I turned on the inside unit to see how loud it was and it was quiet. I also had a portable unit and the mini-split is a lot quieter than that. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to have the A/C guys come out and hook up the freon lines. It's only a 20 minute job so should cost even less but I know how A/C guys are so I am not counting on it.

The install was straight forward. I had to mount a bracket on the wall for the inside unit. Had to pour a slab of concrete for the outside unit. Had to do a little wiring. Had to make a hole in a brick wall. Sounds like a lot but it was all really easy and went smoothly. I'll have to do a little sheet rock patching but I have textured walls so it is easy to do that and make it look like nothing ever happened.

RWS wrote:

Reply to
User Example

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?

They come precharged for a standard line length, If the lines are longer or shorter than the standard length, usually 15 feet, the charge needs adjusted.

You may want him to make sure it is working OK as well.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The outside unit is precharged. The inside unit is pressurized with an inert gas. The lines just have plastic plugs on the ends to keep out dirt. So, the lines and indoor unit have to be evacuated first.

Reply to
User Example

No. you need to evacuate the lines and evap.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2