(OT) American music has become total trash

Why is it that all the good music these says is coming from foreign countries? England, Ireland, and others. They have talented musicians that actually sing. All that is coming from America is this disgusting Rap garbage, which is nothing but some electronic machine making the background, and some black idiot talking, and using some very filthy vocabulary.

If music has anything to say about our culture, then America is in much worse shape than most people realize.

Personally I'm rather old and still prefer the oldies from the 50s thru the 80s, but when I'm in public I hear what is playing on the juke boxes and modern radio stations, and all the stuff I like, is all from foreign countries, while the stuff that I find to be the most repulsive is American.

I'm not a racist by color, but I think American blacks have completely ruined music.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

You may not be a racist, but yer certainly a moron.

There is still plenty of great non-rap American music being created in the US. We only get only four stations, here in my rural CO Rockies. One C&W (I'm not a fan), one classic R&R (yawn), one hippie (snore), and one contemporary music, of which there is a lot of good ol' white teenie-bop, pre-teen pop, and young adult angst music. This last station has a pretty decent selection of music from both black female singers to white popular (Don't let 'em kid you, taylor swift sings pre-teen pop!) singers/bands. I recall one particularly bouncy ditty by a Rachel Platten, whom I'd never heard of, called 1000 Ships. Very catchy, very bubbly, and almost painfully white! I don't make a steady diet of it, it being a bit too teen-pop'ish, but it certainly ain't rap and I listen jes to see what new stuff in on the horizon.

I suspect a lot of the problem is where one lives. In this fairly remote mountain Valley, we probably have half doz black ppl, so there's not a big demographic fer rap. But, that's beside the point. The point is, there is plenty of non-rap music out there. Also, some of the best foreign/world beat music is from Africa. So, if you don't like what yer hearing, either move or change the damn station!

BTW, with the exception of C&W, blacks pretty much invented American Music.

nb

Reply to
notbob

"Jumpin' and hollerin'" was my dad's comment when the Beetles were on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

When Robert Plant, yes THAT Robert Plant, wanted to explore and make an album of Celtic/Galleic music, he had to come to Appalachia to get the truest form of the Irish sound.

You see the Celtic sound has disappeared from Ireland almost altogether yet it preserved in America particularly in the Appalachian states.

The OP must only listen to Top 40 or Billboard pop music, because America being a very large and diverse nation has many diverse forms of music, most of which are alive and well.

Of course this doesn't matter to you because you are just throwing out a racist barb for the sake of being a racist. And most of your 1950's to

1980's music is most likely influence by Black creativity and sound, developed in black communities...
Reply to
Duesenberg

Pop Music All Sounds the Same Nowadays

recyclebinned

If you're that limited, get an Internet radio and choose the music you want from thousands of stations. Our "old" house is in E. Alabama, just far enough from big cities to have a dearth of local stations but too far to receive from the big cities reliably. Internet radio is great; replaced my XM. The new place is in the outer Atlanta 'burbs but Internet radio still better than I can get OTA.

Right, but unless you have to go satellite for high-speed Internet, Internet radio solves those problems. If you want to know what's popular in East Framistan, just select that source. ;-)

"Invented" is a pretty strong word, but they were certainly in on the ground floor.

Reply to
krw

...and his dad's, with the Andrew's Sisters. ;-)

OTOH, Rap is a completely different animal. Do you remember anything from the Beetles with the hate massage that is Rap? Well, maybe "The Tax Man". ;-)

Reply to
krw

There used to be alot of rap in the 1980's that was positive and about advancing social causes and celebrating life and whatnot but those artists and those sounds aren't being reproduced much from what I hear. I was just a farm kid in Canuckistan and getting a hold of those tunes was tough work, pre internet.

But there was a time when rap and hip hop wasn't all about celebrating thug life. Do they even use the term hip hop anymore?

Reply to
Duesenberg

I wouldn't know whether American music is wonderful or absurd. I only listen to stuff that was composed at least 100 years ago. But sometimes I'm fooled.

During a discussion of political campaigns around the office, I brought up the subject of "Campaign Songs." One of the staff thought the idea preposterous (the others were noncommittal).

So I go to the music store. After searching diligently for twenty minutes or so, I finally approached the clerk with the least amount of metal in his face and asked: "Where can I find 'Charlie on the MTA' by the Kingston Trio?"

"Cool, man," said the hippie. "Follow me."

We went to the racks. He stuck out his hand. He pulled out the album.

From the section marked "Classics."

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't know Fred, but I agree with you that america has become total trash.

And by the way Fred, while you've been out looking for a job ever since they close the quarry - I've been banging Wilma.

Yaba-daba doo!

Reply to
Barney Rubble

Is that why Betty is over here, sobbing her eyes out?

.

I don't know Fred, but I agree with you that america has become total trash.

And by the way Fred, while you've been out looking for a job ever since they close the quarry - I've been banging Wilma.

Yaba-daba doo!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't get past your youth, huh? ;-)

Agreed, Springsteen is pretty lame.

I got it from Amazon.

Reply to
krw

Stormin Mormon used improper usenet message composition style by top-poasting:

No she's not.

Betty is cool with it. Especially when it's a three-some. Yaba-daba doo!

Reply to
Barney Rubble

So, who's the sobby woman who is over here?

.

No she's not.

Betty is cool with it. Especially when it's a three-some.

Yaba-daba doo!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Loudness wars or highly compressed recording with little dynamic range, has been discussed a lot among the people who care. With no range, it's all HUGTUGFIHGFT, not, h. I. Ff. Ee I. I. O.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That - is lady Liberty.

Reply to
Barney Rubble

She has been crying since 1/20/09.

Reply to
krw

Another reminder we are getting older (grin). Was talking to a buddy from WAY back in the day who used to program a local Album Oriented Rock station. He said he decided he was getting older when he realized that his playlist at the AOR station was pretty much the local Oldies station playlist.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well, some the cars I drove are now called "classics". Oothers were called "junk", then, and don't exist now. ;) I suppose calling the music "classical" fits, somehow (though "classical" has a, different, technical term, in this case). Yes, some of the music was "junk", too. Sugar Shack, anyone?

Reply to
krw

Most pop music has *always* been pretty bad. As long as I can remember at least...

I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (1909, saccharin. [What's a "now"?])

A Tisket, A Tasket (30s, stupid)

Nature Boy, Mule Train, I'm looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover (40s, stupid).

Mairzy Doats (40s, ridiculous)

Skokiaan, Yakety Yak (50s, ridiculous), Love Me Tender (50s, saccharin)

Pretty much any rock (nothing except annoying rythym), doo wop (stupid), or "surf" (one chord wonders")

All rap without exception

And many, many more, far too numerous to name. *Nota bene*...exclusions are almost anything played by a decent swing/jazz band or group but there are many exceptions here too as most of them also sold out from time to time for the almighty buck. Even Kenton.

Reply to
dadiOH