White thinset

I recently had need to remove some Saltillo tile along the outside edge of a concrete slab. The tile had been there for 15 years and had been mortared in place with standard, grey thinset. Much - but not all - of the thinset observed after popping the tiles was sugar white. The white areas were not discernably different from the grey in hardness or adhesion.

Any idea why the mortar turned white?

Reply to
dadiOH

No, it is thinset. I installed the tile oroiginally

Reply to
dadiOH

It was always white. You can buy white thinset now and there have been times when it was more prevalent than gray (when we had the cement shortage) Some guys like white better because a little mortar squeeze out isn't as ugly in the grout.

Reply to
gfretwell