Why are stairlifts so slow?

It isnt a tiny house, just not big enough for a full family of kids etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Funny how there are more people in debt than rich snobs like you.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It begins "and" and ends "ent."

You're just jealous you don't have the stamina to do it again.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Irrelevant to your stupid claim that expenditure always exceeds income.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He's had the loan for many years, with a redraw facility, and he keeps redrawing on it. That's why you need to be careful with those types of loan.

Reply to
Xeno

The couple in question have quite a large house - 4 bedrooms. Standard block and the house takes up most of it.

Reply to
Xeno

Exactly. Anyone consistently going into greater debt has no clue how to live within their means. I know a couple of people with rather modest incomes but not only get by, but have a cushion in the bank.

I've also known people with very good incomes with troubles. I know a guy some years back making about 100K had a nice new house, boat, and a new BMW and the car finance called him most every month about the late payment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, quite easy to do - live up to your income - and beyond. Back when I was in the mining industry, and single, I was on huge incomes and spent the lot. Necessary to live it up a little when you're working in remote locations as I was. It was only when I worked OS that I began to save some money and, a little later when I decided to get married, I was back to square one in a new career at 28 on *start out pay rates*. Every week my pay was pre-allocated. After 10 years into my new career, I was moving up the pay scales and actually getting ahead, paid the house off early, bought new cars again and still managed to save money. Still doing that even though I am long retired, our two cars were both purchased new 4 years ago. My wife goes OS to visit family every 2nd year.

Reply to
Xeno

That's me. I learned long ago to live within my means. No debt here. I get teased for being cheap occasionally. It's not being cheap, it's survival and knowing what you can afford. No worries here and no envy of people that have more toys than I do.

Reply to
Gary

I've managed to get away with spending a little too much once in a while, while never earning a LOT and I've managed to "retire" debt free. Never broke into any safes either. I learned after spending way too much on a new vehicle ONCE when I was about 23 and have not owned a new vehicle since. Spent a thousand too much on the odd used car since, but have saved 10s of thousands by repairing them myself and keeping them on the road for years, or even decades.

Time to go out and start my 50 year old power mower to mow the grass on my mortgage free 1/3 acre lot anf then do a bit more work on my 24 year old pickup truck getting ready to have the new box repainted to match so I can hopefully get another 8 or 10 years out of it.

Then relax with my first wife - one of the best "deals" I ever made -

- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Again with assuming "always" means 100% of the time. Your OCD is showing again, pull up your fly.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's not an assumption, it's a fact, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed
<snipped>

Only about 18% here for home mortgages. Business mortgages were higher.

We paid $67,000 for our first house with a loan of $56,000, sold it for $300,000 about 18 years later. Paid $365,000 for for the next and borrowed a mere $75,000 to get into that one. Sold it for $600,000 nine years later. Because we did a sea/tree change, this house cost less than we sold our previous for.

Reply to
Xeno

Which is the choice of each person.

And you clearly haven't been watching the stats, the UK rate dropped to a quarter when the world rate dropped to two thirds.

Maybe we're using what's called an immune system?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I seem to do both. I always find the cheapest thing to buy, or consider doing the job myself, but I still like something expensive now and then, like a holiday. The banks will not be getting my money back :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How on earth could that work? At under 5% people can only just afford to get one.

Double the price in 9 years is some profit. Mine has almost doubled in 20 years. Sid you deliberately buy something you thought would be worth more later? And I've no idea what sea/tree means.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

To infect lots of others by their stupidity like you do.

You are too stupid to even work out what they mean.

Pity about all those corpses.

Because it takes time to get to the places that don't see as much international movement of people, stupid.

Nope, that's the result of the lockdown, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The rate hiked after they got the mortgage.

That depends on the property value, stupid.

Some of ours did that.

Because no one is actually stupid enough to want a house in a council sink estate like yours.

Virtually always true here.

Leave one of the state capitals to live by the sea or away from the sea where the trees are.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That may be the case in the UK. I started with a mortgage of 13%. Not long after I took it on, the interest rate went to, in my case, 17.5%. Heady times indeed.

Nope. I bought in order to *get into the market*. With house prices rising that much over a relatively short period of time, people found themselves in a position where even being able to save up the *deposit* was difficult. Set a target and it's moved out of reach by the time you achieve it. As an example. The house I sold 7 years ago for $600k, located a mere 16 kilometres from the heart of Melbourne, doubled in price over the next *5* years. That's insane price rises in anyone's book. Around here, people have a sea change if they move/retire from the city to a seaside town. People have a tree change if they move/retire to a rural town. I did both in the same move. I now live in a small rural seaside city where where we are surrounded by farms but the nearest beach is 5 kilometres distant. In other words, it's a rural centre and a beachside holiday resort.

Reply to
Xeno

According to

Aussies aren't much richer than Poms. But then you have more land per person, so I guess houses are cheaper.

It amazes me that the houses in nicer places cost less. I wouldn't live in a city even if I could afford it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey