Why are stairlifts so slow?

Just like someone in the Federal Government stated when it came to the medicare insurance. They said the people could look it up on the internet. I bet half of the ones on medicare don't have the internet, or if they do would never find the information.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was once told to fax details about my broken fax modem to the supplier.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No reason why they cant get one when they need to do something like that when they are no longer as mobile as they used to be.

Trivial to learn how to with the best designs. It rings like a phone call with a different ring tone.

Don't need one for that.

Nope, lots of them sold now.

The best of them like the arlos even work out if its a delivery monkey or just a jovey and ignores the joveys.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not everyone loves technology like you. When they get old they can't be bothered with all that shit.

And then you have to have it with you.

Not my point. I was stating that they don't want modern technology. They can't even tune their TV FFS.

Not to old fashioned old people.

Then you don't have the fun of telling them to f*ck off.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

I almost always use "next Wednesday" fro the next day (after today) that's a Wednesday, but have heard it for the Wednesday after that so if it's important I would try to add additional information like: next Wednesday (the 10th).

"6/8/2020" is less ambiguous that "6/8/20" (where 20 could be a day). I try to use the month abbreviation (Jun) and all 4 digits for the year. Either "Jun 6 2020" or "6 Jun 2020" could be read unambiguously. The little-endian form (6 Jun 2020) seems a little more readable since there's better separation between the numerals.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

You need bathrooms on both levels.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

But those with a clue who find that the stairlift is too slow when they are upstairs and someone rings the doorbell may well find it useful when someone suggests it.

That's bullshit. When my dad's second wife ended up with severe emphysema, he got one of the first big multi box mobile phones in the car so she could call him if she had a problem when he was out and about in the car.

Then after she had died, and he had moved into a big retirement village, he got a small modern mobile phone so he could call someone if he had a fall when out walking.

And that village had a full licensed on site restaurant which had specials for the residents that they delivered in golf carts. When I showed up after he had stormed out of the hospital after a fall, there was a massive stack of the orders he had done most weeks for those specials. He filled out the order on his mac, printed it out and faxed it to the restaurant. That was when he was in his 80s

Just a lot close than downstairs, stupid.

Plenty of them do. My back neighbour who I used to provide free internet for has just added her own broadband and she is in her 70s, So have all the older garage salers.

Sure, buy that's a different issue to having a mobile or internet,

ALL if the old people I know do except for one and his wife does.

Plenty are to old people.

You are free to do that without having to fart around with the stairlift.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then you're just plain wrong. Days are gathered together in weeks. Next Wednesday is the one in the next week.

To explain, consider today to be Monday. When is "this Wednesday"? Everybody would agree that it's in two days time. How can next Wednesday be the same as this Wednesday?

I say it my way because I'm right and if they turn up 1 week late or early, not my problem.

Agreed. There are two sensible ways to write dates - British and Japanese. Brits go from small to large (date, month, year), Japs go from large to small (year, month, date) - which is better for computer programs. The Merkin way is implausibly stupid, you go from the medium sized measurement, to the smallest, then to the largest.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only when you're old. I was born in a house with the bathroom only upstairs. Never found it a problem walking or running up the stairs to use it. The only problem was sharing one bathroom between 4! If someone was having a shower, you could be tightening your muscles for a while. Especially annoying when you need to go in the middle of the night, usually woken up by someone having a shower, then having to stay awake until they've finished.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This is the sort of old guy I'm thinking of:

Commander Kinsey

What if it's Saturday: is something happening in two days "this Monday" or "next Monday"? It's clearly in the next week, whether weeks are considered to start on Sunday or Monday.

Reply to
Max Demian

There's something to be said for outdoor privies. And chamber pots in the bedrooms.

Reply to
Max Demian

Nope.

Irrelevant which is the next wednesday.

Never heard anyone use it like that.

The day after tomorrow. But its also next wednesday.

Like a synonym. stupid.

Nope, wrong, as always.

Typical psychopath.

There are in fact a lot more than two. What matters is what isnt ambiguous.

Never seen anyone but a jap do it that way.

Because that's the way plenty say dates.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, its much more convenient when you arent old too.

The only multistory house I lived in for long had full bathrooms on both levels and bedrooms on both levels too, the master bedroom on the top level. Full kitchens and main rooms on both levels too.

Corse it wasn't a pokey little terrace house like so many of you lot have.

But much more convenient to have one on each level.

And the same with dunnys.

And with a bath even longer.

Never had that in any house with just one bathroom.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Plenty manage it fine now with the new smart speakers.

And siri has been full time now for a long tine, no need to press the home button.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And the point flies over your head yet again. Most old people do not want technology!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

More likely due to the equation : power x time = energy

Rearranging: Power = energy / time

The energy required is, more or less, constant regardless of how long it takes. Do it slowly, and you need less power. Do it quickly and you need more power.

Small motors are cheaper, lighter etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Next Monday. This Monday occurred 5 days ago.

Weeks start on Monday, since Sunday is part of the weekend.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not in winter there isnt.

Makes more sense to piss in a bucket.