Why are stairlifts so slow?

[snip]

Which one is the ground floor? A?

I would expect "sub loft" to be near the top.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Or the charging cable, unless it's qi only.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

So there's a chance of finding a working iPhone in the sewer.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

and Alpha Centauri is local.

[snip]
Reply to
Don W

I wouldn't want one, even if someone cleaned it for me. I suppose it might be worth something on Ebay. There are still Apple fanboys about? I was hoping that company would die along with Jobs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's my line, learn to quote.

Thanks for proving your geekyness, you really do not need all that shit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That doesn't change the simple task of making a motor with soft start.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not just toilets. Imagine you're an infirm person upstairs. The doorbell rings. You take quite a few minutes to get there, by which time they've left. Now you've missed your parcel and are expected to go collect it from the post office.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A motor is not like an engine, it has more power when slower, and wouldn't have a problem getting it going.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Electric motors have 100% torque at stall.

I am pleased to see that you at least know the difference between a motor and an engine. There is hope for you yet.

Reply to
Xeno

I also know that a lot are designed so badly that if they stall for more than a couple of seconds, they burn out. This includes an £80 strimmer I bought (so not cheap shit). I just sent it back and got it replaced, happy in the knowledge that either the shop or the manufacturer was out of pocket.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I also know it's very easy to add a soft start circuit to prevent the old dear being lurched form 0mph to a massive great 2mph walking speed, which wouldn't actually be dangerous at all, but some over-zealous health and softy legislation might think so.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, that's the snobby way. Anybody with any common sense starts counting at 1, not 0. Why blindly follow the blind? Your "ground floor" has a floor. Therefore it's the first one you come to. It's not the ground. It's not covered in earth. It's a floor like any other.

And before you ask, I'm in the UK, and hate most Americanisms, but this one is sensible.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The other two things that annoy me are "next wednesday" and 6/8/2020. Both can apparently be ambiguous, but I always use the logical one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not a lot of point apart form due to a shortage of land. Also annoying to have your neighbour being able to see into your garden. And if there's more than one person living in the house, whoever is upstairs can be heard tramping along the floor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because the bedrooms are the least accessed room. Makes sense to put kitchen, lounge, bathroom downstairs to reduce the number of times you go up and down the stairs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But if you bought the house when you were 20....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you get your dick removed, you're now female. I don't believe in this mid-gender new age shit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Anyone with even half a clue in that situation would have a smart doorbell which allows you to talk to the person who has pressed the doorbell or knocked on the door using your phone. And that works when you are in the garden etc too and when you arent even home and need to tell\ them where to leave it so it doesn't get stolen etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There are plenty old folk who don't even have a mobile phone, let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy shit like that. My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection! You really do live in a world of your own.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey