Why so hard to get Edison screw lamp holders?

I've noticed in recent years that all sorts of appliances, desk and table lamps, outside light fittings, etc. all come with Edison Screw (E27) lamp holders in them. So I've started to run down my stock of bayonet cap bulbs and assumed that I'd gradually go over to having E27 bases everywhere, even if that meant replacing old lamp holders that hang down from the ceiling roses with E27 holders (many of them need replacing anyway as the bakelite cracks from the heat after some years).

Today I got a couple of CFLs at a good price when reduced to clear, but they were only available cheap in E27 bases. So I immediately tried to buy some E27 lamp holders, preferably with a cord grip. But as far as I can see, they hardly exist. I could not find any in B&Q, or Wilkinsons, or Tescos, or or the online listings of Homebase, or Wickes, or Screwfix or Toolstation, or Maplin.

There must be something going on that I don't understand - is there something wrong with using an Edison screw lamp holder for a lamp that hangs from the ceiling rose? If not, that means keeping a stock of spare lamps in both base types. Does everyone do that nowadays?

I haven't even found it easy to buy E27 lamp holders on line: the prices seem to be at least three times that for bayonet cap holders. Since much of the rest of the world seems to have standardised on E27 decades ago, and at least half the bulbs in the shops now have E27 bases, I don't understand why the corresponding lamp holders are so hard to find.

Reply to
Clive Page

What's the problem?

I just put E27 bulb holder into froogle and turned up loads. They all look like the nasty flimsy things they are though.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

My strategy is different. I'm assuming that BC will remain predominant for the foreseeable future so I buy all BC bulbs. For the few ES sockets I have, I use adapters, which are available cheaply on eBay. Yes the bulb is lengthened but that's not actually a problem with any of the fittings I have.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Well, they do say

"Light source is sold separately. IKEA recommends LEDARE LED bulb E27 400 lumen."

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Pardon my ignorance, but this switchover has happened since I lost my sight. Are E27 the ones where the screw is isolated and there is a ring and a blob on the bottom of the bulbs? I've seen these bulbs, well felt them and wondered why, but I guess its to isolate the screw part as old es bulbs used to be letal if a bit of the holder pr broke off. If not then, I'll not lose sleep, but most of the ones in my house are two pin BC except one stupid applience with three pin BC type that are now almost unobtainable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This may help get away from the baked bakelite problem

rbel

It's not really a switchover. BC still rules in Britain but we've taken to importing table top lamps and outdoor light fittings from abroad and taking them as they come rather than getting a UK version made.

I haven't come across any Edison bulbs that you described. The outer screw is live (well, hopefully neutral) all the way down the thread.

Reply to
Scott M

En el artículo , rbel escribió:

I wonder if that has an earth connection?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

According to TLC they do.

Reply to
rbel

They are US double filament lamps. The screw thread is the common and the tip and ring are the connections to each filamane. They also have CFL's which work that way.

Never seen them in the UK.

Get the lampholder changed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I called them E27 in my original message because I thought it was the correct modern term, but actually I think it is just a fancy name for what we used to call simply Edison Screw (ES). According to Wikipedia, the E stands for Edison, and the 27 is the diameter in millimetres (of which I doubt Mr Edison would approve). There is apparently also an E26 size in the USA which is said to be "mostly compatible" with E27.

Reply to
Clive Page

these on eBay Edison screw light fittings

Reply to
kbrowning90

Nobody has actually designed a lamp holder which is safe with no bulb in it of the ES or bayonet type to my mind, maybe the industry just wants fewer people to fry their fingers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because they are a poor design that allows bulbs to work loose and potentially exposes live metal?

Reply to
Scott

MK make the shockguard BC holder that shutters the pins when the bulb is removed, it's a little bulkier than a normal BC22 lampholder.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is it made in England or Malaysia?

Reply to
Scott

I'm not fussed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I would have though the lack of locking mechanical security could lead to loose connections, arcing and a fire risk.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That was implied in 'allows bulbs to work loose'.

Reply to
Scott

Still a question that is not entirely outside the permitted bandwidth for a newsgroup thread, I would suggest.

Reply to
Scott